Turkey Chorizo and Zucchini Saute
Curtido Pickled Cabbage:
- Cabbage, red - 6 oz , thinly sliced
- Carrots - 2 oz , shredded on a box grater
- Jalapenos - 1/2 , chopped
- Garlic - 1 clove , chopped
- Oregano, dried - 1/2 tsp
- Vinegar, apple cider - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Oil, cooking - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Chili powder - 1 tsp
- Paprika - 1 tsp
- Cumin, ground - 1 tsp
- Garlic powder - 1 tsp
- Coriander, ground - 1 tsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/4 tsp
- Turkey, ground - 1 lb
Turkey and Zucchini Saute:
- Zucchini - 12 oz , diced
- Bell peppers, any color - 1 , diced
- Onions, medium - 1/2 , diced
- Limes - 1 , wedges
- Green onions - 2 stalks , chopped, green and white parts combined
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Hot sauce (opt) - for serving
- Make spice mix - Combine chili powder, paprika, cumin, garlic powder, coriander, salt, and black pepper. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Zucchini / Bell peppers / Onions / Cabbage / Carrots / Jalapenos / Garlic - (Skip prepping cabbage, carrots, jalapenos, and garlic if curtido was made ahead for Monday.) Prep as directed. Combine zucchini, bell peppers, and onions in one container. Combine cabbage, carrots, jalapenos, and garlic in another container. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make curtido - (Skip if made ahead for Monday.) Whisk together oregano, vinegar, and oil (portion for curtido). Add cabbage, carrots, jalapenos, and garlic. Toss everything together to combine. (It’s messy, but the easiest way to combine everything is with your hands.) (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Season turkey - Stir spice mix into turkey. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Limes / Green onions - Prep as directed.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat. Add first part of oil (for saute) and then turkey. Saute turkey until cooked through and browned in spots, 8 to 10 minutes. Set turkey aside.
- Return skillet to stovetop and increase to medium-high heat. Add second part of oil (for saute) and then zucchini, bell peppers, and onions. Saute until vegetables are tender, 6 to 9 minutes.
- Fold turkey back into vegetables and cook everything together for a few minutes.
- Give curtido a stir and season with some salt and pepper.
- Divide turkey saute between serving bowls and top with curtido, green onions, and some hot sauce (if you’d like). Serve with lime wedges for squeezing over top. Enjoy!