Sheet Pan Honey Harissa Chicken
with Mediterranean chickpea salad
Smarts: The chickpea salad can be made up to 2 days ahead. Be sure to season it with some salt and pepper before serving.
- Onions, medium and red - 1/2, thinly sliced
- Oil, olive - 2 Tbsp
- Lemon juice - 2 Tbsp
- Honey - 2 tsp
- Harissa - 2 tsp
- Salt - 1 tsp
- Cumin, ground - 1/2 tsp
- Chicken thighs, boneless and skinless - 20 oz
- Foil (opt) - for roasting
- Bell peppers, red - 1, diced
- Onions, medium and red - 1/2, diced
- Cucumbers - 10 oz, chopped
- Beans, garbanzo (14 oz / 397 g) - 2 cans, drained and rinsed
- Oil, olive - 2 Tbsp
- Lemon juice - 1 Tbsp
- Vinegar, apple cider - 1 Tbsp
- Italian seasoning - 1 tsp
- Green onions - 2 stalks, chopped, green and white parts combined
- Bell peppers / Onions (for chicken and chickpeas) / Cucumbers - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make marinade - Combine onions (portion for chicken), olive oil (portion for chicken), lemon juice (portion for chicken), honey, harissa, salt, and cumin. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Marinate chicken - Combine chicken and marinade. Tenderize with a fork. Marinate for at least 20 minutes and up to 1 day. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Make chickpea salad - (If prepping right before cooking, get chicken cooking before making salad.) Drain and rinse beans. Whisk together olive oil (portion for salad), lemon juice (portion for salad), vinegar, and Italian seasoning. Combine with beans, bell peppers, onions (portion for salad), and cucumbers. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Green onions - Chop green onions.
- Heat oven to 425F / 218C.
- Line a sheet pan with foil (optional, but will make clean up easy) or brush with some cooking oil. Spread chicken and onions (portion for chicken) out on prepared sheet pan (no need to drain off marinade). Season with some salt and pepper.
- Transfer sheet pan with chicken and onions to the oven. Roast until chicken is cooked through, 25 to 35 minutes (depending on size). The chicken is done when it reaches 165F / 74C degrees.
- When chicken is nearly done roasting, stir green onions into chickpea salad. Season with some salt and pepper.
- Serve chicken with chickpea salad. Enjoy!
Nice flavors, easy to pull together. I added extra vinegar to the salad to give it more flavor, and I served the chicken over rice to soak up the sauce/marinade.2 Helpful
So easy and delicious!!0 Helpful
Love this - made it twice in the last month! I think next time I'll try doubling the marinade - the onions come out really nice after roasting. Israeli couscous would go nicely with the meal, too.0 Helpful
This meal was tasty, healthy, and simple to make.0 Helpful
Loved the harness marinade. And the chickpea salad was delicious0 Helpful
Loved the chicken, but I would serve it over rice next time - my husband wasn’t a big fan of the chickpea salad.0 Helpful
We loved this! Glad we were a bit behind so learned from others - we added extra veg and dressing as well as feta to the salad and loved it. We also had some couscous on the side. Went heavy on the marinade and felt that it had great flavor!0 Helpful