Vegan Sausage and Curtido Hoagie
with chili mayo / coriander green beans
Smarts: To shorten the cooking time on this meal, microwave the green beans first to get them started and then finish them in a pan to give them a light sear.
- Sausage, any vegan / vegetarian style - 16 oz, sliced into 3” / 7.6 cm pieces
- Lemons - 1, wedges
- Green onions - 2 stalks, chopped, green and white parts combined
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Cajun seasoning - 2 tsp (sub Jerk seasoning)
- Hoagie buns - 4
- Curtido Pickled Cabbage (ingredients listed separately) - ~2 cups
- Mayonnaise - 1/2 cup
- Chili garlic sauce - 2 tsp, more to taste
- Green beans - 1 lb, trimmed (sub asparagus)
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Coriander, ground - 1 tsp
- Cabbage, red - 6 oz, thinly sliced
- Carrots - 2 oz, shredded on a box grater
- Jalapenos - 1/2, chopped
- Garlic - 1 clove, chopped
- Oregano, dried - 1/2 tsp
- Vinegar, apple cider - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Oil, cooking - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Sausage - Thinly slice. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make chili mayo - Whisk together mayonnaise and chili garlic sauce (add more if you’d like it spicier). (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Green beans / Cabbage / Carrots / Jalapenos / Garlic - Prep as directed. Store green beans in one container. Combine cabbage, carrots, jalapenos, and garlic in another container. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make curtido - (Double if making Wednesday’s meal.) Whisk together oregano, vinegar, and oil (portion for curtido). Add cabbage, carrots, jalapenos, and garlic. Toss everything together to combine. (It’s messy, but the easiest way to combine everything is with your hands.) (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Lemons / Green onions - Prep as directed.
- Pre-cook green beans - Place green beans in a microwave-safe bowl and cover with a damp paper towel. Microwave on high until just starting to turn tender, 2 to 4 minutes (depending on thickness). If using steam-in-bag green beans, just follow the directions on the bag.
- Heat a large skillet or wok with oil (portion for green beans) over medium-high heat. Add green beans and saute, letting the beans brown lightly on the bottom of the pan, until tender and lightly charred, 2 to 3 minutes. Season with ground coriander and some salt and pepper.
- Transfer green beans to a serving plate and return pan to medium-high heat.
- To heated pan add oil (portion for hoagie). Add vegan sausage and let cook on one side until lightly browned, ~3 minutes. Flip and season with Cajun seasoning, some salt, and some pepper. Saute until golden brown on both sides, 3 to 5 minutes more.
- Remove pan from heat and stir in green onions.
- Toast buns.
- Toss curtido (remember to reserve half if doubled). Season tonight’s portion with some salt and pepper.
- Spread buns with chili mayo and then fill with curtido and vegan sausage.
- Serve hoagies with green beans on the side and lemon wedges for squeezing over the top of everything. If you have any chili mayo left, dip green beans in it. Enjoy!
Delish! Healthy, colorful, kicky and fun — this is a trademark Cook Smarts meal (especially with the use of the curtido twice this week). We used half mayo and half Greek yogurt to lighten the sauce a smidge.3 Helpful
I did add a tsp extra chili garlic into my mayo but overall thought this was a super tasty dish. My husband I and I both enjoyed the contrast of sour from the curtido with spicy from the shrimp and mayo.0 Helpful
Good sandwich. Used trader joe's soy Italian sausages and would use a different kind next time since the flavor didn't really go well but that's not a fault of the recipe.0 Helpful
Replaced the cabbage and carrots with coleslaw mix because the store didn’t have red cabbage, which turned out to be for the best since it cut out so much prep.0 Helpful
added extra chili garlic sauce to the mayo but it was quick and delicious. used coleslaw mix for the curtido with pickled jalepenos. loved the green beans too.0 Helpful
This was great - I loved the combination of flavors and textures!0 Helpful
Very tasty! All of the flavors combined to make something awesome. We halved the jalapeño and took a few shortcuts (pre-cooked shrimp, frozen chopped green beans, slaw mix).0 Helpful