Shrimp and Curtido Hoagie
with chili mayo / coriander green beans
Shrimp and Curtido Hoagie:
- Shrimp, peeled and deveined - 1 lb
- Lemons - 1 , wedges
- Green onions - 2 stalks , chopped, green and white parts combined
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Cajun seasoning - 2 tsp (sub Jerk seasoning)
- Hoagie buns - 4
- Curtido Pickled Cabbage (ingredients listed separately) - ~2 cups
- Mayonnaise - 1/2 cup
- Chili garlic sauce - 2 tsp , more to taste
Coriander Green Beans:
- Green beans - 1 lb , trimmed (sub asparagus)
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Coriander, ground - 1 tsp
Curtido Pickled Cabbage:
- Cabbage, red - 6 oz , thinly sliced
- Carrots - 2 oz , shredded on a box grater
- Jalapenos - 1/2 , chopped
- Garlic - 1 clove , chopped
- Oregano, dried - 1/2 tsp
- Vinegar, apple cider - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Oil, cooking - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Shrimp - Defrost.
- Make chili mayo - Whisk together mayonnaise and chili garlic sauce (add more if you’d like it spicier). (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Green beans / Cabbage / Carrots / Jalapenos / Garlic - Prep as directed. Store green beans in one container. Combine cabbage, carrots, jalapenos, and garlic in another container. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make curtido - (Double if making Wednesday’s meal.) Whisk together oregano, vinegar, and oil (portion for curtido). Add cabbage, carrots, jalapenos, and garlic. Toss everything together to combine. (It’s messy, but the easiest way to combine everything is with your hands.) (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Lemons / Green onions - Prep as directed.
- Pre-cook green beans - Place green beans in a microwave-safe bowl and cover with a damp paper towel. Microwave on high until just starting to turn tender, 2 to 4 minutes (depending on thickness). If using steam-in-bag green beans, just follow the directions on the bag.
Unlock this meal along with hundreds of smart meal plans and never stress about "What's for dinner?" againTry for free
- Heat a large skillet or wok with oil (portion for green beans) over medium-high heat. Add green beans and saute, letting the beans brown lightly on the bottom of the pan, until tender and lightly charred, 2 to 3 minutes. Season with ground coriander and some salt and pepper.
- Transfer green beans to a serving plate and return pan to medium-high heat.
- To heated pan add oil (portion for shrimp). Add shrimp and let cook on one side until opaque, ~3 minutes. Flip shrimp and season with Cajun seasoning, some salt, and some pepper. Saute for 1 to 2 minutes more, until shrimp is cooked through.
- Remove shrimp from heat and stir in green onions.
- Toast buns.
- Toss curtido (remember to reserve half if doubled). Season tonight’s portion with some salt and pepper.
- Spread buns with chili mayo and then fill with curtido and shrimp.
- Serve hoagies with green beans on the side and lemon wedges for squeezing over the top of everything. If you have any chili mayo left, dip green beans in it. Enjoy!