Korean BBQ Platter
with bulgogi / cucumbers / kimchi / rice
We love setting out all of the components of this fresh meal and letting everyone assemble their own Korean-inspired bowls right at the table. This meal was last featured in 2019.
Smarts: Make a double batch of bulgogi tonight and Thursday's sandwiches will be a breeze.
- Cucumbers - 8 oz, cubed
- Vinegar, rice - 2 Tbsp
- Sugar - 1/2 tsp
- Lettuce, romaine - 1 heart, shredded (sub iceberg)
- Carrots - 6 oz, shredded (look for pre-shredded)
- Oil, toasted sesame - 2 tsp
- Vinegar, rice - 2 tsp + 2 tsp
- Sugar - 1/4 tsp
- Gochujang - 4 Tbsp (Korean hot sauce)
- Sesame seeds, black or white - 1/2 tsp
- Kimchi - 1/2 cup
- Steak, sirloin or boneless ribeye - 1 lb, thinly sliced (sub skirt or flank steak)
- Garlic - 2 cloves, chopped
- Ginger - 1 tsp, grated
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 1/3 cup
- Brown sugar - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Oil, toasted sesame - 2 tsp
- Rice, uncooked white or brown - 1 cup
- Chill steak - This step is optional, but will make the meat easier to slice. Put beef in the freezer for about 15 minutes so it is very cold but not frozen.
- Rice - For white rice, rinse until clear. Fill a saucepan or Dutch oven (or rice cooker) with rice, water (use 2:1 ratio for water to rice), and some salt. Cover with lid and bring to a boil. Once water boils, stir, lower heat to a low-medium, and cover. Check white rice after ~20 min; brown at ~45 min. Rice is done when it's absorbed all the water. If it's not done, leave the cover on until all water has been absorbed. Take cover off to release steam and fluff with a wooden spoon after 5 minutes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Marinate beef - (Double if making Thursday night's meal.) Chop garlic. Grate ginger. Thinly slice beef against the grain. Combine garlic, ginger, soy sauce, brown sugar, and toasted sesame oil (portion for beef) in a bowl. Add beef and marinate for at least 20 minutes and up to 2 days. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Pickle cucumbers - Cube cucumbers. Toss with vinegar and sugar (portions for cucumbers). (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Lettuce / Carrots - Prep as directed and combine. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- In a large bowl, whisk together toasted sesame oil, first portion of vinegar, and sugar (portions for BBQ platter). Add lettuce and carrots on top. Wait to toss until right before serving.
- In a small bowl, whisk together gochujang and second part of vinegar (portion for BBQ platter).
- Heat a skillet or wok over medium-high heat. Add beef and marinade and saute until beef is cooked through and marinade is bubbling. (Note: If making Thursday night's meal, go ahead and cook the steak for that night at the same time. You may want to do it in batches to avoid overcrowding and allow the meat to brown.)
- Drain liquid off cucumbers and season with some salt.
- If rice was made ahead, reheat.
- Toss salad in vinaigrette and sprinkle sesame seeds on top.
- Set out salad, rice, beef (reserve half if you cooked Thursday's at the same time), gochujang, pickled cucumbers, and kimchi. Let everyone assemble their Korean BBQ bowl at the table. (The crisp, cool salad is great mixed together in the bowls with the warm ingredients, but feel free to enjoy it on the side if you prefer.)
This was fun to make and a really interesting and tasty meal. I only gave it 3 stars though because it didn't WOW me for the amount of work that I put into it. I felt like for that much work it should've really packed a punch. The steak was DELICIOUS though so I'm looking forward to the sandwich on Thursday!1 Helpful
OK, but not crazy good. Lots of work on meal prep day, not much day of. But not what I expected after all the effort.0 Helpful
This was good, but it was a lot of work. The spicy Gochujang was excellent!0 Helpful
We cheated and used Costco’s Beef Bulgogi marinating meat. We enjoyed this meal.0 Helpful
Great! Steak was delicious.0 Helpful
5/5 bulgogi was one of the things I miss the most when I turned vegetarian, and this portobello version is just absolutely amazing, I would double the amount of portobello because I can inhale it, it's so good!0 Helpful
The steak was so good! I did leave out the salad but we loved the rest of it combined. Can’t wait to have the leftovers in the sandwiches later this week!0 Helpful