Asian Spice Tempeh
with ginger miso pan sauce / broccoli stir-fry / rice
Broccoli Stir-Fry with Cashews:
- Broccoli - 1 head , florets
- Garlic - 3 cloves , sliced
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Cashews, roasted and unsalted - 1/2 cup
- Sesame seeds, white (opt) - 2 tsp
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 1 tsp
Ginger Miso Sauce:
- Ginger, fresh - 2 tsp , grated
- Water - 1/2 cup
- Vinegar, rice - 1 Tbsp
- Miso paste, white (sub any variety miso) - 2 1/2 Tbsp
- Oil, toasted sesame - 1 tsp
- Brown sugar - 1 tsp
Asian Spice Tempeh:
- Tempeh - 16 oz , 1/2" (1.25 cm) slices
- Water - 1 cup
- Chinese five spice powder (find in the spice or International aisle) - 1 Tbsp
- Brown sugar - 1 tsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/2 tsp
- Garlic powder - 1/4 tsp
- Red pepper flakes - 1/4 tsp
White or Brown Rice:
- Rice, uncooked white or brown - 1 cup
- Rice - For white rice, rinse until clear. Fill a saucepan or Dutch oven (or rice cooker) with rice, water (use 2:1 ratio for water to rice), and some salt. Cover with lid and bring to a boil. Once water boils, stir, lower heat to a low-medium, and cover. Check white rice after ~20 min; brown at ~45 min. Rice is done when it's absorbed all the water. If it's not done, leave the cover on until all water has been absorbed. Take cover off to release steam and fluff with a wooden spoon after 5 minutes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Steam tempeh - Slice tempeh into 1/2” (1.25 cm) thick slices. Combine tempeh and water (portion for tempeh) in a microwave-safe bowl. Cover with a paper towel. Microwave on high for 5 minutes. Drain off water. Dry tempeh by spinning in a salad spinner or patting very dry with paper towels. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Marinate tempeh - Combine five spice, sugar (portion for tempeh), salt, black pepper, garlic powder, and red pepper flakes. Add in tempeh and fold gently to coat in marinade. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Pan sauce - Peel and grate ginger. Combine ginger, water (portion for sauce), vinegar, miso, sesame oil, and sugar (portion or sauce). Puree sauce with an immersion or standing blender until smooth. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Broccoli / Garlic - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 4 days ahead)
- Drain marinade off tempeh (discard marinade).
- Heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Brush with some oil and then place tempeh on heated oil. Sear on each side until golden, ~5 minutes. Transfer tempeh to a plate and return skillet to heat. Add ginger miso sauce to hot pan. Stir, scraping up any bits from the bottom of the pan, until the sauce thickens a bit, ~2 minutes. Turn off the heat under the pan.
- Meanwhile, heat a wok or a second skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil for broccoli. When oil begins to shimmer, add broccoli and a tablespoon of water (for 4 servings, adjust accordingly) and stir-fry until bright green and tender, ~5 minutes. Add garlic, cashews, sesame seeds, and soy sauce and stir-fry until garlic is fragrant, ~1 minute more.
- If rice was made ahead, reheat in the microwave.
- Serve tempeh with ginger miso pan sauce over rice. Enjoy broccoli on the side.