Asian Pork Chops
with ginger miso pan sauce / broccoli stir-fry
The spice rub that seasons these pork chops features Chinese Five Spice which brings a truly exotic flavor to Asian dishes. But don't stop there with the bold flavors - finish the dish with a tangy ginger miso pan sauce. This meal was last featured in 2016.
- Broccoli - 1 head, florets
- Garlic - 3 cloves, sliced
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Cashews, roasted and unsalted - 1/2 cup
- Sesame seeds, white (opt) - 2 tsp
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 1 tsp
- Ginger, fresh - 2 tsp, grated
- Water - 1/2 cup
- Vinegar, rice - 1 Tbsp
- Miso paste, white (sub any variety miso) - 2 1/2 Tbsp
- Oil, toasted sesame - 1 tsp
- Brown sugar - 1 tsp
- Pork chops (bone in or out) - 1 1/2 lbs
- Chinese five spice powder (find in the spice or International aisle) - 1 Tbsp
- Brown sugar - 1 tsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/2 tsp
- Garlic powder - 1/4 tsp
- Red pepper flakes - 1/4 tsp
- Pork chops - Combine five spice, sugar (portion for pork), salt, black pepper, garlic powder, and red pepper flakes. Rub pork chops on all sides with spice mix and tenderize with a fork. (Can be done up to 1 day ahead)
- Pan sauce - Peel and grate ginger. Combine ginger, water, vinegar, miso, sesame oil, and sugar (portion or sauce). Puree sauce with an immersion or standing blender until smooth. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Broccoli / Garlic - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 4 days ahead)
- Heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Brush with some oil and then place pork chops on heated oil. Sear on each side for ~3 minutes. For thin pork chops, this should be enough heat to cook them through. If you’re using thicker pork chops, lower heat and cover with a piece of foil until pork reaches 145F (63C) degrees. When done, let pork rest, covered for at least 5 minutes before slicing.
- Return skillet to heat and add the ginger miso sauce to hot pan. Stir, scraping up any bits from the bottom of the pan, until the sauce thickens a bit, ~2 minutes. Turn off the heat under the pan.
- While pork rests, heat a wok or a second skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil for broccoli. When oil begins to shimmer, add broccoli and a tablespoon of water (for 4 servings, adjust accordingly) and stir-fry until water steams off and broccoli is green and tender, ~4 minutes. Add garlic, cashews, sesame seeds, and soy sauce and stir-fry until garlic is fragrant, ~1 minute more.
- Slice pork and serve with ginger miso pan sauce over top and broccoli on the side. Enjoy!
This was delicious but not enough food. Would have been perfect with a side of rice. I doubled the sauce which was perfect amount of sauce.1 Helpful
We loved this meal! I doubled the sauce and added rice. Yum!!!0 Helpful
I made it and it was pretty tasty, but it took a lot of work and getting creative especially when you don’t have a microwave and only one burner. I did cook extra veggies and doubled the sauce and am glad I did!0 Helpful
I've been on CookSmarts for a few years now, this might be the best meal I've made. As I often do, and see others do, I made "extra" sauce - proved beneficial. Very easy to make, very quick to make especially if prepping a day or two ahead. I will ABSOLUTELY make this again, very soon!0 Helpful
Very tasty!0 Helpful
Easy to make and came together quickly since I did the prep ahead of time. The Chinese Five Spice was a different flavor profile than I'm used to which I liked, but the rest of my family thought it was too spicy, even though I omitted the red pepper flakes (they can't handle any spice). I might make again but use less Five Spice.0 Helpful
I overcooked the pork chops, but pan sauce saves everything0 Helpful