Roasted Butternut Squash Pappardelle
with apple spinach salad
Roasted butternut squash makes a great pasta filling. If you prep and roast the butternut squash beforehand, this weeknight dinner will come together in no time. If you can't find pappardelle (wide Italian noodles), go for a linguine or fettuccine. Regardless, don't skip the onions! They'll add more flavor and texture to this restaurant-quality pasta dinner!
Apple Spinach Salad:
- Apples - 1 , sliced thinly ((my fave are honey crisp or pink ladies))
- Maple syrup - 2 tsp
- Balsamic vinegar - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Olive oil - 3 Tbsp
- Baby spinach - 4 oz
- Walnuts - 1/4 cup , crushed
Butternut Squash Pappardelle:
- Butternut squash - 1 , peeled & cubed
- Red onions - 1 , sliced
- Balsamic vinegar - 2 Tbsp + 2 Tbsp
- Maple syrup - 2 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Olive oil - 2 Tbsp
- Pappardelle - 2/3 lb ((or linguine or fettuccine))
- Butter - 2 Tbsp
- Pine nuts - 1/4 cup
- Parmesan cheese - 1/4 cup , grated
- Butternut squash / Onions - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Roast butternut squash - Preheat oven to 425F (218C) degrees. Mix together first part of balsamic vinegar, first part of maple syrup, and olive oil. Toss with cubed butternut squash directly on a sheet pan, and roast for 25 to 30 minutes until golden on the outside or tender. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Apples - Prep as directed.
- Bring a saucepan of water to a boil. Salt heavily (that water should taste like the ocean!) and add pasta. Cook according to package instructions. Before draining, save 1 cup (235 ml) pasta water.
- Heat a saute pan over medium heat. Add butter and then onions to melted butter with a dash of salt. Saute for 3 to 4 minutes and then add second part of balsamic vinegar and maple syrup. Saute for another 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add in pasta and then toss with reserved pasta water. The starch from the pasta water should create a nice sauce. Add in pine nuts, roasted butternut squash, and parmesan. Cook until everything is warmed through.
- Whisk together maple syrup (use less for a less sweet dressing), vinegar, and olive oil if not already done from yesterday. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Toss with apples, spinach, and walnuts and enjoy with pasta!