Mango and Cucumber Tofu Poke Bowl
with avocado / edamame
Smarts #1: Be sure to toss the tofu with the seasoning mixture while it's still warm so that it soaks up the flavors.
Smarts #2: Furikake often includes dried fish, so be sure to check the ingredients list or skip it.
- Tofu, extra-firm - 16 oz, 1/2” / 1.3 cm cubes (vacuum-packed preferable)
- Mangos, large - 1, cubed
- Cucumbers - 10 oz, chopped
- Edamame, shelled, fresh or frozen - 1 1/2 cups
- Avocados - 1, chopped
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 1 Tbsp
- Oil, toasted sesame - 2 tsp
- Sesame seeds, any color - 2 tsp
- Baby spinach or baby kale - 5 oz
- Furikake (opt) - (be sure to check the ingredients as many versions include fish)
- Mayonnaise - 1/3 cup
- Sriracha - 1 tsp, more or less, to taste
- Lime juice - 2 tsp
- Rice, uncooked white or brown - 1 1/4 cup
- Rice - (Double if making Thursday’s meal.) For white rice, rinse until clear. Fill a saucepan or Dutch oven (or rice cooker) with rice, water (use 2:1 ratio for water to rice), and some salt. Cover with lid and bring to a boil. Once water boils, stir, lower heat to a low-medium, and cover. Check white rice after ~20 min; brown at ~45 min. Rice is done when it's absorbed all the water. If it's not done, leave the cover on until all water has been absorbed. Take cover off to release steam and fluff with a wooden spoon after 5 minutes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Tofu - If tofu is packaged in water, press out liquid first, like in this video. Then slice into 1/2” / 1.3 cm thick cubes. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Make Sriracha mayo - Combine mayonnaise, Sriracha, and lime juice. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Mangos / Cucumbers - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Edamame - If using frozen edamame, defrost. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Avocados - Chop avocados.
- Heat a well-seasoned skillet or nonstick pan with some cooking oil over medium-high heat. Add tofu and cook on one side until golden brown. Use a spatula to gently flip tofu and cook on the other side. Continue cooking until tofu is golden brown and heated through, 4 to 7 minutes total.
- Gently toss warm tofu with soy sauce, sesame oil, and sesame seeds.
- If rice was made ahead, reheat in the microwave. (Reserve half if doubled.)
- Assemble bowls with a base of rice and spinach / kale. Top with mangos, cucumbers, edamame, avocados, and tofu. Top with Sriracha mayo and furikake. Enjoy!
I have two kids, so we cooked the salmon, and it was still delicious. I would swap the Mayo (we’re not huge motors fans) for a citrus dressing next time!1 Helpful
We loved this one. Only recommendation would be to double the sriracha mayo. We used regular salmon and seared it quickly instead, as that what was in the freezer.0 Helpful
We grilled the salmon, tasty and easy. Adding to favorites to make again when we have another perfectly rip mango (yum).0 Helpful
Everyone loved it!0 Helpful
I really like the CookSmarts poke bowls. Because we wanted to this to be easy and last for many lunches throughout the week, we just bought some smoked salmon instead of fresh sushi grade. Tasty flavors and I'll put furikake on just about anything.0 Helpful
Used frozen mango and edamame which helped with prep! And while Sriracha mayo is delicious, I made a Thai sweet chili sauce dressing to go with it which was also really good. I loved the crunchy cucumber with the tofu. Yum!0 Helpful
Delicious! Very easy and flavorful.0 Helpful