Pulled BBQ Chicken Sandwiches
with sweet potato fries
- Sweet potatoes - 1 lb, sliced into fries
- Olive oil - 2 Tbsp
- Ketchup - for serving
- Apples - 1, sliced thinly ((my fave are honey crisp or pink ladies))
- Maple syrup - 2 tsp
- Balsamic vinegar - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Olive oil - 3 Tbsp
- Baby spinach - 4 oz
- Walnuts - 1/4 cup, crushed
- Leftover BBQ chicken - 2 cups
- Leftover BBQ sauce - 1/2 cup
- Hamburger buns - 4 ((try something different like English muffins if you want))
- Cheese - 4 slices ((like Monterey, American, Fontina))
- Preheat oven to 500F (260C) degrees.
- Place sweet potatoes in a sheet pan and then cover tightly with foil. Bake for 6 minutes on top rack.
- Double the vinaigrette ingredients if you are making tomorrow night's dinner too. Whisk together maple syrup (use less if you want your dressing less sweet), vinegar, and olive oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Return to sweet potato fries. Take them out and toss with olive oil and a generous sprinkle of salt. Roast for another 12 to 15 minutes uncovered, giving them a shake midway through.
- While sweet potatoes are finishing, warm leftover chicken in a microwave (look for the reheat setting) or in a saucepan on medium.
- Spoon shredded chicken onto buns. Top with more leftover BBQ sauce and serve with cheese. If you want to turn into melts, place into an oven at 350F (177C) degrees for 4 to 6 minutes or under a broiler on low for about 4 to 6 minutes. If you have leftover slaw from last night, they would go great with these sandwiches.
- Toss vinaigrette (remember to use only half if you doubled the recipe) with apples, spinach, and walnuts and enjoy with sandwiches and sweet potato fries! You can dip the fries into BBQ sauce or ketchup (or mix them together).
easy breezy and really yummy!0 Helpful
I added extra bbq sauce and melted cheddar cheese on them, they were good. The fries were really yummy.0 Helpful
Although the wish that we'd made it without fake meat still stands, this sloppy joe style open faced melt was tasty and we preferred it this way. The entire meal with sweet potato and spinach salad was nutritious and delicious.0 Helpful
good for leftovers:) Loved the salad.0 Helpful
kids said the sauce was too thin and made the bread too goopy. I did like the flavors though.0 Helpful
Sharp cheddar made this delicious. Had to pour off some sauce to make it work on the buns. Good salad. Used store-bought sweet potato fries to reduce prep time.0 Helpful