Hoisin Chicken Lettuce Wraps
with brown rice / snap peas / peanuts
Smarts: Last time we featured this meal, community members requested rice to give the lettuce wraps more substance. Serve the rice right in the lettuce wraps, on the side, or serve everything together like a rice bowl / salad if you prefer.
- Lettuce, romaine - 12 leaves (use larger leaves from hearts of romaine)
- Snap peas - 10 oz, finely chopped (sub snow peas)
- Limes - 1, wedges
- Cilantro leaves - 3 Tbsp
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Chicken, ground - 1 lb
- Water - 1 Tbsp
- Cornstarch - 1 tsp
- Peanuts - 1/2 cup
- Ginger, fresh - 1 tsp, grated
- Garlic - 2 cloves, chopped
- Hoisin sauce - 1/4 cup
- Water - 3 Tbsp
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 2 Tbsp
- Vinegar, rice - 1 Tbsp
- Sriracha (opt) - 2 tsp (sub any hot sauce)
- Rice, brown - 1 cup
- Brown rice - (Double if making Thursday’s meal.) Fill a saucepan or Dutch oven (or rice cooker) with rice, water (use 2:1 ratio for water to rice), and some salt. Cover with lid and bring to a boil. Once water boils, stir, lower heat to a low-medium, and cover. Check rice at ~45 min and continue cooking if needed. Rice is done when it's absorbed all the water. Take cover off to release steam and fluff with a wooden spoon after 5 minutes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Ginger / Garlic - Prep as directed and combine. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make sauce - Combine ginger, garlic, Hoisin sauce, water (portion for sauce), soy sauce, vinegar, and Sriracha. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Lettuce / Snap peas - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Limes / Cilantro - Prep as directed.
- Heat a large skillet or saute pan with oil over medium-high heat. Add chicken, breaking it apart as it cooks, until opaque, 5 to 6 minutes.
- Stir sauce and snap peas into chicken and bring to a simmer.
- Whisk together water (portion for lettuce wraps) and cornstarch. Pour over chicken and stir well. Simmer until sauce thickens, 2 to 3 minutes more.
- Remove chicken from heat and stir in cilantro.
- If rice was made ahead, reheat in the microwave (reserve half if doubled).
- Serve lettuce wraps filled with rice, chicken, and peanuts. Serve lime wedges on the side for squeezing over the lettuce wraps. Enjoy!
Added shredded cabbage because it was on hand. Delicious!1 Helpful
Very good0 Helpful
I didn’t have any lettuce so I mixed ramen in with it. Awesome ramen filler.0 Helpful
This was great! Easy and fast. I doubled the sauce and used an instant brown rice/quinoa mix. I skipped peanuts because we don’t like them.0 Helpful
Quick and easy (especially with meal prep on the weekend.) We had some daikon in the fridge, so we chopped that up and added in the way we would have used water chestnuts to add some crunch. Happy we did. Also doubled the sauce. Happy we did that too. We ALWAYS use cabbage leaves instead of lettuce for lettuce wraps. Napa cabbage in particular is really good. Doesn't tear as much, so way less messy for the kids. I could do without the rice. Maybe next time we'll try something else or just do it without rice. Also had some watermelon on the side, which I think went well.0 Helpful
Subbed green beans for snow peas because that’s what I had on hand. These were great! Will definitely make again this summer.0 Helpful
Really liked them. Very filling with the rice added. Next time I will double the sauce, because it was so good and since we decided to mix the rice into the meat mixture we definitely could have used the extra sauce.0 Helpful