Hoisin Chicken Lettuce Wraps
with brown rice / snap peas / peanuts
First featured back in 2015, Hoisin sauce gives these light and fresh lettuce wraps plenty of rich flavor.
Smarts: Last time we featured this meal, community members requested rice to give the lettuce wraps more substance. Serve the rice right in the lettuce wraps, on the side, or serve everything together like a rice bowl / salad if you prefer.
- Lettuce, romaine - 12 leaves (use larger leaves from hearts of romaine)
- Snap peas - 10 oz, finely chopped (sub snow peas)
- Limes - 1, wedges
- Cilantro leaves - 3 Tbsp
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Chicken, ground - 1 lb
- Water - 1 Tbsp
- Cornstarch - 1 tsp
- Peanuts - 1/2 cup
- Ginger, fresh - 1 tsp, grated
- Garlic - 2 cloves, chopped
- Hoisin sauce - 1/4 cup
- Water - 3 Tbsp
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 2 Tbsp
- Vinegar, rice - 1 Tbsp
- Sriracha (opt) - 2 tsp (sub any hot sauce)
- Rice, brown - 1 cup
- Brown rice - (Double if making Thursday’s meal.) Fill a saucepan or Dutch oven (or rice cooker) with rice, water (use 2:1 ratio for water to rice), and some salt. Cover with lid and bring to a boil. Once water boils, stir, lower heat to a low-medium, and cover. Check rice at ~45 min and continue cooking if needed. Rice is done when it's absorbed all the water. Take cover off to release steam and fluff with a wooden spoon after 5 minutes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Ginger / Garlic - Prep as directed and combine. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make sauce - Combine ginger, garlic, Hoisin sauce, water (portion for sauce), soy sauce, vinegar, and Sriracha. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Lettuce / Snap peas - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Limes / Cilantro - Prep as directed.
- Heat a large skillet or saute pan with oil over medium-high heat. Add chicken, breaking it apart as it cooks, until opaque, 5 to 6 minutes.
- Stir sauce and snap peas into chicken and bring to a simmer.
- Whisk together water (portion for lettuce wraps) and cornstarch. Pour over chicken and stir well. Simmer until sauce thickens, 2 to 3 minutes more.
- Remove chicken from heat and stir in cilantro.
- If rice was made ahead, reheat in the microwave (reserve half if doubled).
- Serve lettuce wraps filled with rice, chicken, and peanuts. Serve lime wedges on the side for squeezing over the lettuce wraps. Enjoy!
Added shredded cabbage because it was on hand. Delicious!1 Helpful
Used beef otherwise made as is. Super easy weeknight meal everyone loves. Some wrap their lettuce wrap within tortilla, some had rice bowls adding red pepper, Cashews, cilantro yum. Consider adding water chestnuts next time!0 Helpful
This was super flavorful. I served mine with some sautéed book choy over rice, rather than doing a lettuce wrap. Yum! Came together in minutes.0 Helpful
This was tasty and easy - I like that these feel more like a complete meal with the rice added, and the peanuts brought a nice crunch.0 Helpful
Delicious and easy recipe! Followed recipe except subbed ground turkey because that’s what I had (also, added scallions as Ian suggested.) Leftovers were great for lunch over a bed of greens.0 Helpful
This was great! Easy. Made tortillas for my picky kids, but next time will just make them eat the lettuce :)0 Helpful
Fast and easy, and my kids loved them! I added more sriracha to mine because I found the sauce a bit bland.0 Helpful