Middle Eastern Fried Rice with Chickpeas
and peas / carrots
This fried rice is fast thanks to leftover rice. Middle Eastern-inspired ingredients and spices give the rice a unique and exotic flavor. This meal was last featured in 2019.
- Paprika, smoked - 1 tsp
- Cumin, ground - 1/2 tsp
- Coriander, ground - 1/2 tsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/4 tsp
- Cinnamon - 1/4 tsp
- Turmeric (opt) - 1/4 tsp
- Cauliflower florets - 1 lb, chopped
- Garlic - 2 cloves, chopped
- Lemons - 1, wedges
- Cilantro leaves - 2 Tbsp, chopped
- Beans, garbanzo (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can, drained and rinsed
- Peas and carrots, frozen - 1 1/2 cups
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Pine nuts - 2 Tbsp (sub sliced or slivered almonds)
- Water - 1 Tbsp
- Basmati rice, cooked (leftover from Monday) - ~2 cups
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 1 Tbsp
- Harissa paste - 2 tsp (sub tomato paste with a few drops of hot sauce)
- Golden raisins - 1/4 cup
- Yogurt, plain or Greek - 1/2 cup
- Make spice mix - Combine paprika, cumin, coriander, salt, black pepper, cinnamon, and turmeric. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Cauliflower / Garlic - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Lemons / Cilantro - Prep as directed.
- Beans - Drain and rinse.
- Peas and carrots - Defrost frozen peas and carrots in the microwave or by running them under warm water.
- Toss cauliflower with cooking oil and spice mix.
- Heat a wok or large skillet over medium heat. Add pine nuts and saute until fragrant and lightly toasted, 2 to 3 minutes. Set aside. (Note: If making Thursday's meal, go ahead and toast the pine nuts for that night at the same time and store them separately.)
- Return pan to heat and add seasoned cauliflower. Saute for 1 minute. Add water and cover pan with a lid. Steam cauliflower for 3 minutes until nearly tender. Remove lid and add garlic. Continue cooking until cauliflower is tender.
- Add peas and carrots and stir to combine.
- Stir in rice, beans, soy sauce, and harissa until everything is heated through, ~2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in raisins. Squeeze half the lemon wedges over top.
- Divide rice between serving plates and top with yogurt, pine nuts, and cilantro. Serve remaining lemon wedges and some extra harissa on the side.
Solid meal, surprisingly filling. Really good flavor levels, followed the recipe instead of doubling the spices like usual. Really good, easy fried rice recipe.0 Helpful
Made with beef and thought the raisins were essential (kids disagreed)!0 Helpful
More flavorful than we expected, we loved how fast it was!0 Helpful
Used asparagus and other veggies in need of cooking0 Helpful
Used the whole can of chickpeas for a 2 person recipe and served with pita bread to up the calories to a dinner amount but was very good!0 Helpful
Easy to make and love the flavors!0 Helpful