Middle Eastern Cauliflower Rice with Turkey
and peas / carrots
This fried rice is fast thanks to leftover cauliflower rice. Middle Eastern-inspired ingredients and spices give the rice a unique and exotic flavor. This meal was last featured in 2019.
Middle Eastern Spice Mix:
- Paprika, smoked - 1 tsp
- Cumin, ground - 1/2 tsp
- Coriander, ground - 1/2 tsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/4 tsp
- Cinnamon - 1/4 tsp
- Turmeric (opt) - 1/4 tsp
Middle Eastern Cauliflower Rice with Turkey:
- Garlic - 2 cloves
- Turkey, ground - 1 lb
- Lemons - 1 , wedges
- Cilantro leaves - 2 Tbsp , chopped
- Peas and carrots, frozen - 1 1/2 cups
- Pine nuts - 2 Tbsp (sub sliced or slivered almonds)
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Cauliflower rice (leftover from Monday) - ~2 cups
- Bragg's / coconut aminos - 1 Tbsp
- Hot sauce - 2 tsp
- Golden raisins - 1/4 cup
- Make spice mix - Combine paprika, cumin, coriander, salt, black pepper, cinnamon, and turmeric. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Garlic - Chop garlic. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Season turkey - Stir spice mix and garlic into turkey. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Lemons / Cilantro - Prep as directed.
- Peas and carrots - Defrost frozen peas and carrots in the microwave or by running them under warm water.
- Heat a wok or large skillet over medium heat. Add pine nuts and saute until fragrant and lightly toasted, 2 to 3 minutes. Set aside. (Note: If making Thursday's meal, go ahead and toast the pine nuts for that night at the same time and store them separately.)
- Return pan to heat and add oil. Add seasoned turkey (which should already be combined with spice mix and garlic) and saute, breaking it apart, until nearly cooked through, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add peas and carrots and stir to combine.
- Stir in cauliflower rice, aminos, and hot sauce until everything is heated through, ~2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in raisins. Squeeze half the lemon wedges over top.
- Divide cauliflower rice between serving plates and top with pine nuts and cilantro. Serve remaining lemon wedges and some extra hot sauce on the side.