Middle Eastern Fried Rice with Turkey
and peas / carrots
This fried rice is fast thanks to leftover rice. Middle Eastern-inspired ingredients and spices give the rice a unique and exotic flavor. This meal was last featured in 2019.
Middle Eastern Spice Mix:
- Paprika, smoked - 1 tsp
- Cumin, ground - 1/2 tsp
- Coriander, ground - 1/2 tsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/4 tsp
- Cinnamon - 1/4 tsp
- Turmeric (opt) - 1/4 tsp
Middle Eastern Fried Rice with Turkey:
- Garlic - 2 cloves
- Turkey, ground - 1 lb
- Lemons - 1 , wedges
- Cilantro leaves - 2 Tbsp , chopped
- Beans, garbanzo (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can , drained and rinsed
- Peas and carrots, frozen - 1 1/2 cups
- Pine nuts - 2 Tbsp (sub sliced or slivered almonds)
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Basmati rice, cooked (leftover from Monday) - ~2 cups
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 1 Tbsp
- Harissa paste - 2 tsp (sub tomato paste with a few drops of hot sauce)
- Golden raisins - 1/4 cup
- Yogurt, plain or Greek - 1/2 cup
- Make spice mix - Combine paprika, cumin, coriander, salt, black pepper, cinnamon, and turmeric. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Garlic - Chop garlic. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Season turkey - Stir spice mix and garlic into turkey. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Lemons / Cilantro - Prep as directed.
- Beans - Drain and rinse.
- Peas and carrots - Defrost frozen peas and carrots in the microwave or by running them under warm water.
Unlock this meal along with hundreds of smart meal plans and never stress about "What's for dinner?" againTry for free
- Heat a wok or large skillet over medium heat. Add pine nuts and saute until fragrant and lightly toasted, 2 to 3 minutes. Set aside. (Note: If making Thursday's meal, go ahead and toast the pine nuts for that night at the same time and store them separately.)
- Return pan to heat and add oil. Add seasoned turkey (which should already be combined with spice mix and garlic) and saute, breaking it apart, until nearly cooked through, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add peas and carrots and stir to combine.
- Stir in rice, beans, soy sauce, and harissa until everything is heated through, ~2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in raisins. Squeeze half the lemon wedges over top.
- Divide rice between serving plates and top with yogurt, pine nuts, and cilantro. Serve remaining lemon wedges and some extra harissa on the side.