Thai Red Curry Noodle Bowls
with glazed tofu / zucchini
These bowls do not include quite enough liquid to be called 'soup' but the noodles and vegetables are surrounded by enough flavorful coconut broth that you'll want to serve them in soup bowls. Top the bowls with glazed bites of tofu.
Smarts: Adjust the curry paste as you go. Start with the lower amount and add more at any point to give the broth more spice and flavor.
- Bell peppers, red - 1 , thinly sliced
- Zucchini - 12 oz , cubed
- Lemongrass - 2 stalks , finely diced (sub 1 tsp lemongrass paste / stalk)
- Ginger, fresh - 1 tsp , grated
- Limes - 1 , wedges
- Cilantro leaves - 1/4 cup
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Curry paste, red - 1-3 Tbsp , more or less to taste
- Coconut milk, light (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can
- Stock, any type - 4 cups
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 1 Tbsp
- Brown sugar - 1/2 tsp
- Rice noodles - 6 oz (use thicker Pad Thai-style noodles or thin rice vermicelli; sub ramen or soba)
- Tofu, extra-firm - 16 oz , 1/2” / 1.3 cm cubes (vacuum-packed preferable)
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 2 Tbsp
- Water - 2 Tbsp
- Mirin - 1 Tbsp
- Honey - 1 Tbsp
- Oil, toasted sesame - 1 tsp
- Cornstarch - 1/2 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 2 Tbsp
- Sesame seeds, white - 1 tsp
Make glaze - Whisk together soy sauce (portion for tofu), water, mirin, honey, toasted sesame oil, and cornstarch. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
Bell peppers / Zucchini / Lemongrass / Ginger - Prep as directed. Combine bell peppers and zucchini in one container. Combine lemongrass and ginger in a second container. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
Limes / Cilantro - Prep as directed.
Add lemongrass, ginger, and curry paste. Saute until fragrant, ~1 minute.
Add coconut milk, stock, soy sauce (portion for noodle bowls), and sugar and stir well. Bring to a boil and then reduce to a low simmer. Simmer for 15 minutes to let the flavors develop while preparing tofu.
While soup simmers, heat a nonstick pan with cooking oil (portion for tofu) over medium heat. Add tofu in a single layer and let cook until golden brown on one side, 3 to 4 minutes. Flip tofu and cook until it is golden brown on all sides, 4 to 5 minutes total.
Give glaze a stir and pour over tofu. Cook tofu, turning gently, until it is coated in glaze, 3 to 4 minutes more.
Transfer tofu to a plate and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
Return to simmering soup and add noodles (break them apart if needed to help submerge them in liquid). Cook noodles according to package directions.
When noodles are cooked, remove from heat and squeeze half the lime wedges into the broth. Taste and season with more sugar, soy sauce, or lime juice if needed.
Divide noodles and broth between serving bowls. Top with tofu and cilantro. Serve extra lime wedges on the side. Enjoy!