Baked Chicken Cordon Bleu
with broccoli in a French vinaigrette
This American classic gets a healthy makeover by being baked instead of fried. This is also a great dish to get your kids involved. They'll love playing with the meat tenderizer and rolling up these goodies. Served with a side of broccoli, this meal hits the spot while being healthy too. The gluten-free and paleo version take advantage of almond flour and almond meal.
Chicken Cordon Bleu:
- Chicken breasts - 1 lb , skinless & boneless
- Flour - 1/2 cup
- Eggs - 1 to 2
- Water - 1 Tbsp
- Breadcrumbs / Panko - 1/2 cup
- Dried thyme - 1/4 tsp
- Parmesan cheese (opt) - 1/4 cup , grated
- Ham or prosciutto - 4 slices
- Swiss cheese - 4 slices
Broccoli in a French Vinaigrette:
- Broccoli - 1 head , chopped
- Shallots - 1 Tbsp , chopped
- Mustard, Dijon - 1 tsp
- Red wine or sherry vinegar - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Olive oil - 3 Tbsp
- Chicken – Slice in half to make them thinner (You can also purchase them this way to save time). Season with salt and pepper. Place them between two sheets of parchment or wax paper. Pound with a meat tenderizer until they are flat and about ¼” in thinness. See video.
- Dredging stations – Mix together flour and some salt & pepper in one bowl / dish. Whisk together egg and water in second bowl / dish. Mix together bread crumbs, thyme, generous pinch of salt, some pepper, and parmesan in a third bowl / dish.
- Preheat oven to 450F (232C) degrees. Line a sheet pan with foil and then spray with cooking oil.
- Place a slice of ham on top of the chicken, then the cheese and roll. Set aside. You can secure them with a toothpick if needed.
- Dip the chicken into the flour mixture, then egg wash, then into the breadcrumbs.
- Place chicken onto the baking sheet seam side down.
- Bake about 20 to 25 minutes, until until chicken has reached 165F (74C) degrees. Cheese will start oozing out.
- 10 minutes before chicken is done, chop broccoli. Place in a microwave safe bowl. Cover with a damp paper towel and microwave for 2 minutes.
- Mince shallots and mix with mustard, vinegar, and some salt and pepper in a medium bowl. Whisk in oil. When broccoli is done, toss with your French vinaigrette, and enjoy as a side to your CCB!