with tortilla chips
Smarts #1: It will seem like you have a lot of leeks for this recipe, but they will reduce way down as they cook. Smarts #2: Chopping the baby spinach ahead of time helps it to cook down easily to combine with the other ingredients.
- Zucchini - 1 lb, finely chopped
- Leeks - 2, chopped
- Baby spinach - 5 oz, chopped
- Garlic - 3 cloves, chopped
- Avocados - 1, chopped
- Cilantro leaves - 3 Tbsp, chopped
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Cumin, ground - 1 tsp
- Green salsa / Salsa verde - 1/2 cup, plus extra for serving
- Eggs - 8
- Yogurt, plain or Greek - for serving
- Tortilla chips, gluten-free - for serving
- Heat a large saute pan or skillet (use one that has a lid) with oil over medium heat. Add leeks and cook, stirring frequently, until leeks are very tender, 6 to 8 minutes. (If the pan looks dry at an point during cooking, add a splash of water.)
- Stir zucchini into leeks and saute until zucchini is nearly tender, 3 to 5 minutes more.
- Stir in cumin, garlic, and spinach and stir everything together until spinach wilts (putting the lid on the pan for a minute will help to speed it along).
- Stir in salsa. Taste and season with some salt and pepper.
- Use the back of a spoon to create indentations in the shakshuka. Crack eggs directly into the indentations.
- Lower heat to low-medium and cover pan with a lid. Cook until whites are set and yolks are done to your liking, ~5 minutes.
- Serve shakshuka with avocados, cilantro, and yogurt on top. Enjoy with tortilla chips.
Delicious and easy. Plan on cooking for eggs for at least 10 minutes unless you want them to be raw.1 Helpful
Added a little bit of queso fresco and some hot sauce.0 Helpful
We loved this so much more than we thought we would! Used half as many eggs as called for and felt it was perfect. Did the pita in the air fryer and they were very crisp. Plus, the leftovers for breakfast the next morning were awesome too.0 Helpful
This was really good - but the eggs really turned on a dime! Went from very watery looking whites to hard centers really quickly. Would have been better if they were a little runnier.0 Helpful
When this all came together, I thought to myself, am I really going to like this? Is it going to be flavorful enough? The answer was yes. I can't do eggs so we used silken tofu. Added some extra salsa. So satisfying and delicious! Thank you for this one!0 Helpful
Bland. I wish the instructions included seasoning the leeks and zucchini. Maybe that would have helped.0 Helpful
Bright and springy, made for Sunday brunch. Delicious! Will definitely make again.0 Helpful