Asian Kale Salad with Edamame and Crunchy Chow Mein
and peanut dressing / Asian pears / celery
This fresh salad has layers of texture and flavor highlighted by a bed of greens and a creamy peanut dressing. Although this salad was last featured in 2017, we mixed things up this time around and included store-bought dried chow mein noodles for lots of extra crunch.
Smarts: Make a double batch of dressing tonight and use it again in Thursday's salad.
- Edamame, shelled - 1 cup
- Celery - 4 ribs, thinly sliced
- Cilantro leaves - 1 Tbsp
- Asian pears - 1, julienned or sliced (sub any type of pears)
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Peanuts - 3/4 cup
- Chili powder - 1/2 tsp
- Ground coriander - 1/2 tsp
- Crunchy Chow Mein Noodles - 1 cup (find these in the international aisle or sub extra peanuts or some cashews)
- Baby kale - 8 oz (sub baby spinach)
- Ginger, fresh - 1 tsp, grated
- Peanut butter - 1/4 cup (creamy preferred, but crunchy will work)
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 3 Tbsp
- Vinegar, rice - 2 Tbsp
- Honey - 2 Tbsp
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Sriracha - 1 Tbsp, more or less to taste
- Lime juice - 1 Tbsp
- Make dressing - (Double if making Thursday’s meal.) Grate ginger. Soften peanut butter in the microwave for ~30 seconds. Mix with ginger, soy sauce, rice vinegar, honey, cooking oil, Sriracha (or other hot sauce), and lime juice. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Edamame - If frozen, defrost in the microwave. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Celery / Cilantro / Asian pear - Prep as directed.
- Heat a skillet with oil over medium heat. Add peanuts and stir to coat in oil. Sprinkle the tops of the peanuts with chili powder and coriander. Cook, stirring constantly, until peanuts are golden brown, 2 to 4 minutes more. Set aside and allow to cool slightly.
- Add edamame, celery, Asian pear, and crispy chow mein noodles to kale. Toss and portion out the salad. Top with peanuts and remaining dressing. Enjoy!
Easy and yummy. Skipped Sriracha since I'm a wimp.0 Helpful
So delicious! Just used 1/2 Tbsp of Sriracha.0 Helpful
So quick!0 Helpful
SO delicious and quick to put together!0 Helpful
Really delicious! The pork was very easy to prepare and the dressing was very flavorful. I added carrot shavings for color and the pears added just a hint of sweetness. My husband thought the meal was very satisfying, even without rice.0 Helpful