Asian Kale Salad with Seared Pork Chops
and cashew dressing / Asian pears / celery
This salad was last featured in 2017 and has layers of texture and flavor highlighted by a bed of greens and a creamy cashew dressing.
Smarts: Make a double batch of dressing tonight and use it again in Thursday's salad.
- Pork chops, boneless - 1 lb (<1" thick)
- Celery - 4 ribs, thinly sliced
- Cilantro leaves - 1 Tbsp
- Asian pears - 1, julienned or sliced (sub any type of pears)
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Baby kale - 8 oz (sub baby spinach)
- Sunflower seeds - 1/3 cup
- Ginger, fresh - 1 tsp, grated
- Cashew butter - 1/4 cup (sub any nut butter)
- Bragg's / coconut aminos - 3 Tbsp
- Vinegar, rice - 2 Tbsp
- Honey - 2 Tbsp
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Sriracha - 1 Tbsp, more or less to taste
- Lime juice - 1 Tbsp
- Make dressing - (Double if making Thursday’s meal.) Grate ginger. Soften cashew butter in the microwave for ~30 seconds. Mix with ginger, aminos, rice vinegar, honey, cooking oil, Sriracha (or other hot sauce), and lime juice. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Pork chops - Season with some salt and pepper and tenderize with a fork. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)Pork chops - Season with some salt and pepper and tenderize with a fork. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Celery / Cilantro / Asian pear - Prep as directed.
- Heat a skillet or grill pan over medium-high heat. Brush with oil and then place pork chops on heated oil. Sear on each side for ~3 minutes. For thin pork chops, this should be enough heat to cook them through. If you’re using thicker pork chops, lower heat and cover with a piece of foil until pork reaches 145F (or 63C) degrees.
- When done, transfer pork to a cutting board and cover. Let rest for ~5 minutes before slicing.
- Add celery, Asian pear, and sunflower seeds to kale. Toss and portion out the salad. Top with pork slices and cilantro. Drizzle dressing over top. Enjoy!
Easy and yummy. Skipped Sriracha since I'm a wimp.0 Helpful
So delicious! Just used 1/2 Tbsp of Sriracha.0 Helpful
So quick!0 Helpful
SO delicious and quick to put together!0 Helpful
Really delicious! The pork was very easy to prepare and the dressing was very flavorful. I added carrot shavings for color and the pears added just a hint of sweetness. My husband thought the meal was very satisfying, even without rice.0 Helpful