Waffles with Balsamic Fruit
with fried eggs
- Butter or cooking oil - 2 Tbsp
- Eggs - 4
- Butter - 3 Tbsp
- Eggs - 1
- Buttermilk, low-fat - 3/4 cup
- Flour, whole wheat - 1 cup (sub all-purpose flour)
- Sugar - 2 tsp + 1/2 tsp
- Baking powder - 1 tsp
- Baking soda - 1/4 tsp
- Strawberries - 12 oz, quartered (sub other berries)
- Vinegar, balsamic - 2 tsp
- Maple syrup - for serving
- Make waffle mix - Melt butter (portion for waffles; 45 to 60 seconds in the microwave should do). Mix together wet ingredients - butter, eggs (portion for waffles), and buttermilk - in a bowl. In a separate bowl, mix together flour, first portion of sugar, baking powder, and baking soda. Pour wet ingredients over dry ingredients and stir everything to combine.
- Fruit - Wash and slice fruit. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Prepare fruit - Toss with balsamic vinegar and second portion of sugar.
- Heat oven to 200F / 93C (to keep waffles warm while you’re making eggs). Preheat waffle maker.
- Following your waffle maker instructions, pour batter into waffle maker (you may have to do this in batches depending on the size of your waffle maker). Cook until waffles are golden brown on the outside and cooked through.
- While waffles are cooking, heat up a griddle or non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat. Add butter or cooking oil (portion for fried eggs) to pan and then crack eggs into melted butter or heated oil. Fry until the edges are crisp and then flip. Cook until yolks are done to your liking. Fry in batches until done (you may need to add more butter or oil to the pan).
- Enjoy waffles with fruit on top and drizzle with maple syrup. Enjoy eggs on the side. Season eggs with some salt, pepper, or hot sauce.
Really good! The chicken was super tasty. We subbed greek yogurt for buttermilk in the marinade which worked beautifully. We also opted for frozen waffles. Will definitely do it again!1 Helpful
I had no idea how good chicken and waffles are until I used this recipe. Will definitely use it again. And again. Easy!0 Helpful
The waffle batter turned out extremely thick, so I ended up adding extra water and buttermilk. The chicken would have been better fried, but this was a healthier option. Would have loved a syrup recipe to make the syrup spicy. My family gobbled it up though so I will def be playing with the recipe in the future.0 Helpful
I did the balsamic strawberries from the veg version AND the chicken and green beans, and it was SO DELICIOUS.0 Helpful
Big hit with our whole family!0 Helpful
This was very easy to make since I used frozen waffles and frozen green beans that I steamed in the microwave (skipped the vinaigrette and just added butter, salt, and pepper). I used Italian seasoned Panko bread crumbs as I had them on hand and honey mustard instead of Dijon in the marinade and skipped the hot sauce. An excellent meal that the family enjoyed. I'll definitely make this again.0 Helpful
Everyone loved 👏👏0 Helpful