Maple-Pecan Crusted Chicken
with roasted green beans and sweet potatoes
A sweet and savory marinade and topping of pecans give this crunchy, baked chicken a paleo-friendly crust. Serve the chicken with roasted vegetables tossed in a light vinaigrette. This recipe was last featured in 2019.
- Garlic - 4 cloves, crushed
- Honey - 1 tsp
- Bragg's / coconut aminos - 2 Tbsp
- Oil, cooking - 2 Tbsp
- Chicken breasts, boneless and skinless - 1 1/2 lbs
- Pecan halves - 3/4 cup
- Foil - for lining pan
- Butter - 4 Tbsp
- Maple syrup - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Sweet potatoes - 1 lb, cubed
- Green beans - 1 lb, trimmed
- Vinegar, red or white wine - 1 Tbsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 2 tsp
- Oil, olive - 2 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Marinate chicken - (If prepping right before cooking, get oven heating first.) Crush garlic and combine with honey, aminos, and cooking oil. Pour over chicken breasts and tenderize with a fork to help marinade seep in. Marinate for at least 20 minutes and up to a day. (Can be done up to 1 day ahead)
- Sweet potatoes / Green beans - Prep as directed. (You can peel the potatoes or leave the peels on.) Store separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make vinaigrette - Whisk together vinegar and mustard. Add first portion of olive oil while whisking. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Pecans - Place into a food processor and pulse until finely chopped. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Heat oven to 425F / 218C.
- Toss green beans and sweet potatoes with second portion of olive oil and some salt and pepper. Spread out on a sheet pan. Transfer to oven and roast, stirring halfway through cooking, until vegetables are tender, 25 to 30 minutes.
- Line a second sheet pan with foil. Brush lightly with some oil. Spread chicken breasts out on pan.
- Melt butter and combine with crushed pecans and maple syrup. Spread pecan mixture over chicken breasts. Bake chicken for 12 to 14 minutes, until chicken is cooked through (reaches an internal temperature of 160F / 71C). Sweet potatoes should be done about the same time.
- When green beans and sweet potatoes are done, toss with vinaigrette. Season with some salt and pepper.
- Serve chicken with green beans and sweet potatoes on the side. Enjoy!
Really good! The chicken was super tasty. We subbed greek yogurt for buttermilk in the marinade which worked beautifully. We also opted for frozen waffles. Will definitely do it again!1 Helpful
I had no idea how good chicken and waffles are until I used this recipe. Will definitely use it again. And again. Easy!0 Helpful
The waffle batter turned out extremely thick, so I ended up adding extra water and buttermilk. The chicken would have been better fried, but this was a healthier option. Would have loved a syrup recipe to make the syrup spicy. My family gobbled it up though so I will def be playing with the recipe in the future.0 Helpful
I did the balsamic strawberries from the veg version AND the chicken and green beans, and it was SO DELICIOUS.0 Helpful
Big hit with our whole family!0 Helpful
This was very easy to make since I used frozen waffles and frozen green beans that I steamed in the microwave (skipped the vinaigrette and just added butter, salt, and pepper). I used Italian seasoned Panko bread crumbs as I had them on hand and honey mustard instead of Dijon in the marinade and skipped the hot sauce. An excellent meal that the family enjoyed. I'll definitely make this again.0 Helpful
Everyone loved 👏👏0 Helpful