Chicken and Waffles
with green beans
- Chicken breasts, boneless and skinless - 1 lb, sliced into 1/2" / 1.3 cm pieces
- Salt - 1/4 tsp + 1/4 tsp
- Hot sauce (opt) - 2 tsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 1 tsp
- Buttermilk, low-fat - 1/4 cup
- Cornflakes, gluten-free - 1 cup
- Foil - for lining pan
- Butter - 3 Tbsp
- Eggs - 1
- Buttermilk, low-fat - 3/4 cup
- Flour, gluten-free - 1 cup (use a blend that can be substituted 1-1 for all-purpose flour)
- Sugar - 2 tsp
- Baking powder - 1 tsp
- Baking soda - 1/4 tsp
- Maple syrup - for serving
- Green beans - 1 lb, trimmed
- Vinegar, red or white wine - 2 tsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 1 tsp
- Oil, olive - 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Marinate chicken - (If prepping right before cooking, get oven heating first.) Slice chicken breasts into 1/2” / 1.3 cm thick pieces. In a bowl, mix together first part of salt, hot sauce, Dijon (portion for chicken), and buttermilk (portion for chicken). Transfer sliced chicken into buttermilk and then tenderize with a fork. Marinate for at least 20 minutes and up to a day. (Can be done up to 1 day ahead)
- Green beans - Trim green beans. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make vinaigrette - Whisk together vinegar and mustard (portion for green beans). Add first portion of olive oil while whisking. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Crush cornflakes - Crush cornflakes by placing them into a Ziploc bag and rolling a rolling pin over them or lightly smashing with a tenderizer. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make waffle mix - Melt butter (45 to 60 seconds in the microwave should do). Mix together wet ingredients - butter, eggs, and buttermilk (portion for waffles) - in a bowl. In a separate bowl, mix together flour, sugar, baking powder, and baking soda. Pour wet ingredients over dry ingredients and stir everything to combine.
- Heat oven to 425F / 218C. Preheat waffle maker.
- Line a sheet pan with foil and brush the entire pan lightly with some cooking oil (this will help prevent the breaded chicken from sticking). Toss green beans with second portion of olive oil and some salt and pepper. Spread out on one half of the pan (if the pan will be crowded with both green beans and chicken, use two sheet pans).
- Brush excess buttermilk off chicken and transfer chicken one piece at a time into cornflake mix. Close lid and shake your container until chicken is coated. If the cornflakes are not sticking well, use your hands to press them into the chicken. Place cornflake crusted chicken onto the other side of the sheet pan with the green beans.
- Bake for 12 to 14 minutes, until green beans are tender and chicken is cooked through (reaches an internal temperature of 160F / 71C). Flip chicken midway through cooking.
- Following your waffle maker instructions, pour batter into waffle maker (you may have to do this in batches depending on the size of your waffle maker). Cook until waffles are golden brown on the outside and cooked through.
- When green beans are done, toss warm beans with vinaigrette. Season with some salt and pepper.
- Serve chicken over waffles with maple syrup. Enjoy green beans on the side.
Really good! The chicken was super tasty. We subbed greek yogurt for buttermilk in the marinade which worked beautifully. We also opted for frozen waffles. Will definitely do it again!1 Helpful
I had no idea how good chicken and waffles are until I used this recipe. Will definitely use it again. And again. Easy!0 Helpful
The waffle batter turned out extremely thick, so I ended up adding extra water and buttermilk. The chicken would have been better fried, but this was a healthier option. Would have loved a syrup recipe to make the syrup spicy. My family gobbled it up though so I will def be playing with the recipe in the future.0 Helpful
I did the balsamic strawberries from the veg version AND the chicken and green beans, and it was SO DELICIOUS.0 Helpful
Big hit with our whole family!0 Helpful
This was very easy to make since I used frozen waffles and frozen green beans that I steamed in the microwave (skipped the vinaigrette and just added butter, salt, and pepper). I used Italian seasoned Panko bread crumbs as I had them on hand and honey mustard instead of Dijon in the marinade and skipped the hot sauce. An excellent meal that the family enjoyed. I'll definitely make this again.0 Helpful
Everyone loved 👏👏0 Helpful