Chicken and Waffles
with green beans
Smarts: Save time with store-bought frozen waffles if you prefer.
- Chicken breasts, boneless and skinless - 1 lb, sliced into 1/2" / 1.3 cm pieces
- Salt - 1/4 tsp + 1/4 tsp
- Hot sauce (opt) - 2 tsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 1 tsp
- Buttermilk, low-fat - 1/4 cup
- Panko breadcrumbs - 1 cup
- Paprika - 1 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Foil - for lining pan
- Butter - 3 Tbsp
- Eggs - 1
- Buttermilk, low-fat - 3/4 cup
- Flour, whole wheat - 1 cup (sub all-purpose flour)
- Sugar - 2 tsp
- Baking powder - 1 tsp
- Baking soda - 1/4 tsp
- Maple syrup - for serving
- Green beans - 1 lb, trimmed
- Vinegar, red or white wine - 2 tsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 1 tsp
- Oil, olive - 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Marinate chicken - (If prepping right before cooking, get oven heating first.) Slice chicken breasts into 1/2” / 1.3 cm thick pieces. In a bowl, mix together first part of salt, hot sauce, Dijon (portion for chicken), and buttermilk (portion for chicken). Transfer sliced chicken into buttermilk and then tenderize with a fork. Marinate for at least 20 minutes and up to a day. (Can be done up to 1 day ahead)
- Green beans - Trim green beans. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make vinaigrette - Whisk together vinegar and mustard. Add first portion of olive oil while whisking. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make panko mix - Mix together panko, paprika, second part of salt, and cooking oil in a container that has a lid (like a large Tupperware). (Can be done up to 4 days ahead)
- Make waffle mix - Melt butter (45 to 60 seconds in the microwave should do). Mix together wet ingredients - butter, eggs, and buttermilk (portion for waffles) - in a bowl. In a separate bowl, mix together flour, sugar, baking powder, and baking soda. Pour wet ingredients over dry ingredients and stir everything to combine.
- Heat oven to 425F / 218C. Preheat waffle maker.
- Line a sheet pan with foil and brush the entire pan lightly with some cooking oil (this will help prevent the breaded chicken from sticking). Toss green beans with second portion of olive oil and some salt and pepper. Spread out on one half of the pan (if the pan will be crowded with both green beans and chicken, use two sheet pans).
- Brush excess buttermilk off chicken and transfer chicken one piece at a time into panko mix. Close lid and shake your container until chicken is coated in panko. If the panko is not sticking well, use your hands to press the breading into the chicken. Place panko crusted chicken onto the other side of the sheet pan with the green beans.
- Bake for 12 to 14 minutes, until green beans are tender and chicken is cooked through (reaches an internal temperature of 160F / 71C). Flip chicken midway through cooking.
- Following your waffle maker instructions, pour batter into waffle maker (you may have to do this in batches depending on the size of your waffle maker). Cook until waffles are golden brown on the outside and cooked through.
- When green beans are done, toss warm beans with vinaigrette. Season with some salt and pepper.
- Serve chicken over waffles with maple syrup. Enjoy green beans on the side.
Really good! The chicken was super tasty. We subbed greek yogurt for buttermilk in the marinade which worked beautifully. We also opted for frozen waffles. Will definitely do it again!1 Helpful
I like this way of preparing chicken, but I think beans should be par-boiled beforehand.0 Helpful
Used frozen waffles instead of making them because we don't have a waffle maker. Used greek yogurt and milk instead of buttermilk - seemed to work well. Really like this method of getting panko to stick. But overall - underwhelmed. The kids were thrilled with breaksfast for dinner, but if we were to do it again, I'd probably just go full on breakfast for dinner and do scrambled eggs instead.0 Helpful
I had no idea how good chicken and waffles are until I used this recipe. Will definitely use it again. And again. Easy!0 Helpful
The waffle batter turned out extremely thick, so I ended up adding extra water and buttermilk. The chicken would have been better fried, but this was a healthier option. Would have loved a syrup recipe to make the syrup spicy. My family gobbled it up though so I will def be playing with the recipe in the future.0 Helpful
I did the balsamic strawberries from the veg version AND the chicken and green beans, and it was SO DELICIOUS.0 Helpful
Big hit with our whole family!0 Helpful