Curried Yellow Lentil Soup
and mixed greens salad with turmeric dressing
Smarts: This soup features a tadka, which refers to a mix of dried spices that are briefly cooked in fat to help them bloom / release flavor. You can leave all of the tadka in the pan and cook the soup in it for simplicity, or remove half to drizzle over the finished soup, which creates an extra layer of flavor and color.
- Onions, medium - 1, diced
- Ginger, fresh - 2 tsp, diced
- Garlic - 3 cloves, chopped
- Cauliflower rice - 12 oz (look for this in the produce or freezer section; sub finely chopped cauliflower florets)
- Tomatoes, diced and preferably fire roasted (15 oz / 397g) - 1 can, drained
- Lentils, yellow - 1 cup (also called moong / mung dal; sub red lentils)
- Coconut milk, regular (15 oz / 397 g) - 1 can
- Stock, any type - 2 1/2 cups
- Lemon juice - 2 tsp
- Yogurt, plain or Greek - for serving
- Garam masala - 1 tsp
- Curry powder, mild - 1/2 tsp
- Turmeric, ground - 1/2 tsp
- Cumin, ground - 1/2 tsp
- Red pepper flakes (opt) - 1/4 tsp
- Ghee - 2 Tbsp (sub butter or coconut oil)
- Yogurt, plain or Greek - 3 Tbsp
- Oil, cooking - 2 Tbsp
- Vinegar, red or white wine - 1 Tbsp
- Water - 1/2 tsp
- Honey - 1/2 tsp
- Turmeric, ground - 1/8 tsp
- Cucumbers - 6 oz, chopped
- Mixed greens - 5 oz
- Cashews - 1/4 cup
- Onions / Ginger / Garlic - Prep as directed. Store onions in one container. Combine ginger and garlic in another container. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make spice blend - Combine garam masala, curry powder, turmeric (portion for spices), cumin, and red pepper flakes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make turmeric dressing - Whisk together yogurt, oil, vinegar, water, honey, and turmeric (portion for dressing) until smooth. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Cucumbers - Chop cucumbers.
- Heat a saucepan or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add ghee and heat until melted. When ghee is melted, add spice blend and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, ~3 minutes. Use a spoon to remove about half of the ghee-spice mixture from the pan (set it aside to drizzle over top of the soup).
- To remaining spices in the pan, add onions. Saute until onions are soft, ~5 minutes.
- Add ginger and garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Stir in cauliflower rice, tomatoes (including liquid), lentils, coconut milk, and stock. Bring to a boil and then reduce to a low simmer. Cover with lid. Simmer lentils until tender, ~10 minutes (this will vary depending on the type of lentils you’re using, so check the package for the recommended cook time).
- When soup is done, stir in lemon juice. Taste and season with some salt and pepper. (Optional: If you would like a smoother soup use an immersion blender or standing blender to blend all or part of the soup.)
- Just before serving, give dressing a good stir. If it has thickened or separated, you can add a splash of water as you whisk.
- Toss together cucumbers, mixed greens, and cashews. Drizzle dressing over top and season with some black pepper.
- Serve soup with remaining spices and yogurt on top. Enjoy salad on the side.
I only made the soup and it came out lovely. As per other reviewers, I doubled the spices (except the garam masala). I added about 1 TBSP of honey to lift the flavor and highlight the coconut, and with the splash of lemon, yogurt and (added) cilantro topper, it was wonderful. Served with Whole Foods naan that bakes up great!0 Helpful
All around flavorful and easy soup. I did the prep and my husband actually made it. We both loved it. My toddler, not so much.0 Helpful
The soup needed double of all the spices (except maybe the garam masala). I like the other person's idea of roasted cauliflower vs riced - I think that may level up the flavor. I thought this was fine but nobody else in the house liked it.0 Helpful
Delicious and nutritious. Would double the spices next time0 Helpful
Better than expected. Though I wish it hadn't been so high in calories. Used riced cauliflower and the immersion blender. Need to watch the butter better next time - I think I burnt the spices a little. Salad was really good.0 Helpful
So so good! Used turkey sausage.0 Helpful