Savory Tempeh Breakfast Burrito
with honey chipotle carrot fries
Smarts: We're also adding leftover onions and peppers from Tuesday’s meal to give the burritos texture and flavor. If you don’t have these, the burritos will still be great without them.
- Eggs - 6, whisked
- Milk - 1 Tbsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/4 tsp
- Water - 1/4 cup
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Tortillas, burrito-sized - 4
- Roasted peppers and onions (leftover from Tuesday) - 1 cup (skip if you don't have these)
- Cheese, shredded cheddar or Mexican blend - 1 cup
- Salsa (opt) - for serving
- Tempeh - 8 oz, sliced into thin strips (sub extra firm tofu)
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 3 Tbsp
- Chili powder - 1/2 tsp
- Coriander, ground - 1/2 tsp
- Carrots - 1 lb, sliced into sticks
- Adobo sauce - 2 tsp (from a can of chipotles in adobo)
- Honey - 2 tsp
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 1 tsp
- Cilantro leaves - 2 Tbsp, chopped or torn
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Tempeh / Carrots - (If prepping right before cooking, get oven heating first.) Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make tempeh marinade - Whisk together soy sauce (portion for tempeh), chili powder, and ground coriander. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make chipotle sauce - Whisk together adobo sauce, honey, and soy sauce (portion for carrots). (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Cilantro - Chop cilantro.
- Eggs - Whisk eggs with milk, salt, and black pepper.
- Heat oven to 425F / 218C degrees.
- While oven is heating, steam tempeh. First, pour water into a microwave-safe bowl. Add tempeh on top and cover loosely with a paper towel. Steam in the microwave on high for 2 minutes. Drain off water. Pour marinade over warm tempeh and gently toss to combine. Set aside.
- Toss carrots with oil (portion for carrots) and some salt. Spread out on a sheet pan. Roast until tender, flipping with a spatula halfway through cooking, 12 to 20 minutes (depending on thickness).
- Once carrots are roasting, heat a nonstick pan with first portion of oil (for burritos) over medium heat. Remove tempeh from marinade (discard marinade) and add tempeh to heated pan. Sear tempeh gently on all sides until golden brown, ~3 minutes per side. Set tempeh aside and carefully wipe out pan.
- Add second portion of oil (for burritos) to heated pan. Pour eggs into pan and scramble gently until just cooked through, 5 to 6 minutes.
- At this point, carrots should be almost finished roasting. When carrots are tender, gently stir in chipotle sauce and cook for about 2 minutes more.
- Warm tortillas according to package directions.
- Warm leftover peppers and onions in the microwave.
- Fill each tortilla with tempeh slices, scrambled eggs, roasted peppers and onions, and cheese. Fold and then roll the tortillas up to completely enclose the filling.
- Top carrot ‘fries’ with cilantro.
- Serve burritos with salsa (if you'd like) and carrot ‘fries’ on the side. Enjoy.
I doubled the spice and had hot salsa. Very good and pretty easy to make. The carrots were very tasty and I wish there had been more. I did not have the onions/peppers.1 Helpful
Omitted the eggs. Enjoyed these wraps for lunch. The carrots were the highlight!0 Helpful
I keep trying tempeh and I keep not being a fan. :-( I think we'd probably like this with extra firm tofu or maybe crumble tofu up onto the egg scramble if we're trying to up the protean. Maybe beyond meat? The kids really liked that we were having breakfast for dinner, though. And the carrots were a winner!0 Helpful
This was delicious! I actually just simmered the tempeh in the marinade with about 2/3 cup water rather than adding additional oil. Double the carrots! So simple but tasty and really go well with the burrito.0 Helpful
Made a lot of food! Did a fried egg over top so I could easily do leftovers.0 Helpful
This was delicious! I realized that I did not have any greens, but I did have 5 ounces of shiitake mushrooms. I am also not a strict paleo and I had some leftover roasted potatoes, but probably only about 3/4 lb. I added a little bit more adobo sauce and typically do not add sugar, so I left out the honey. It was all I could do not to eat the second serving! So delicious!0 Helpful
Love these fries0 Helpful