Sheet Pan Tofu Fajita Salad with Baby Kale
Broiling the peppers, onions, and tofu gives them the same high heat treatment that sauteeing them in a skillet would, but gets the job done on a single sheet pan. Guacamole and tortilla chips add taco-night fun to this entree salad.
Smarts #1: Be sure to keep a close eye on everything as it cooks since the intensity of broilers can vary.
Smarts #2: Cook extra bell peppers and onions tonight and save some for Thursday's burritos.
- Tofu, extra-firm - 16 oz, 1/2” / 1.3 cm cubes (vacuum-packed preferable)
- Adobo Lime Marinade and Vinaigrette (ingredients listed separately) - ¼ cup + ¼ cup
- Foil - for roasting
- Baby kale - 8 oz
- Cheese, shredded cheddar or Mexican blend - 1 cup
- Tortilla chips (opt) - for serving
- Bell peppers, any color - 2, sliced
- Onions, medium - 1, sliced
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Cilantro leaves - 1 tsp, chopped
- Avocados - 1, mashed
- Lime juice - 2 tsp
- Lime juice - 1 Tbsp
- Honey - 1 Tbsp
- Adobo sauce - 2 tsp (from a can of chipotles in adobo)
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 2 tsp
- Cumin, ground - 1/2 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 1/4 cup
- Tofu - If tofu is packaged in water, press out liquid first, like in this video. Then slice into 1/2” / 1.3 cm thick cubes. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Make marinade / vinaigrette - Whisk together lime juice (portion for marinade / vinaigrette), honey, adobo sauce, soy sauce, cumin, and oil (portion for marinade / vinaigrette). (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Marinate tofu - Combine tofu with first portion of marinade / vinaigrette (reserve second portion to dress the salad). Let tofu marinate for at least 20 minutes and up to 1 day. Gently stir the tofu once or twice while it marinates to combine. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Bell peppers / Onions - Prep as directed and combine. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make guacamole - Chop cilantro. Mash avocados and chopped cilantro together. Add lime juice (portion for guacamole). Season with some salt and pepper.
- Turn on the oven’s broiler and place a rack about 6” / 15 cm below the heat source. Line a sheet pan with foil (this is not necessary but will make clean-up much easier).
- Spread bell peppers and onions out on prepared sheet pan and toss with oil (portion for peppers and onions). Season with some salt. Slide pan under the broiler and broil, stirring halfway through, until nearly tender, 4 to 6 minutes.
- Meanwhile, drain marinade off tofu (discard marinade). Season with some salt and pepper.
- Remove pan from oven and spread tofu on top of pepper and onions.
- Broil for another 4 to 10 minutes, until peppers and onions are very tender and tofu is golden brown on top.
- Reserve about 1 cup / 235 mL of cooked peppers and onions if making Thursday’s meal (this is for 4 servings, adjust if customizing; if not making Thursday’s meal just skip this step and enjoy all of the peppers and onions with tonight’s salads).
- Toss baby kale and cheese with reserved Adobo Lime Vinaigrette until dressed to your liking. Divide between serving plates and top each portion with tofu, peppers and onions, and guacamole. Enjoy with tortilla chips.
Forgot how distinct hangar steak tastes. I think we would have liked this better with a different cut. Overall, it was fine - the marinade and veggies were very tasty. The meat was just threw it off a bit. Will try again with a different steak.0 Helpful
Such a great idea to cook the meat on top - I wasn't sure how that would work but it both made the meat a bit crispy and added flavor to the veggies. Easy cooking and easy clean up. Definitely a keeper!0 Helpful
My family LOVED this!! I added a few extras, like mango salsa and greek yogurt (instead of sour cream) and it got gobbled right up! The broil idea was AMAZING!!!0 Helpful
Soo I made a ridiculous amount of changes because I'm pregnantand exhausted, but I really like the suggestion to broil everything. I bought a raspberry marinade which gave everything a nice sweerness. Also served on rice with some seasoned black beans. Next time I'll add corn and a Pico or salsa. Or maybe I'll make the actual marinade/ dressing in the recipe lol0 Helpful
Very good!! Great flavor! Quick to prepare, if you marinade ahead of time!0 Helpful
Excellent! We loved the whole meal as is. Interesting flavors. Will definitely make again.0 Helpful