Sheet Pan Steak Fajita Salad with Baby Kale
Broiling the peppers, onions, and steak gives them the same high heat treatment that sauteeing them in a skillet would, but gets the job done on a single sheet pan. Guacamole and tortilla chips add taco-night fun to this entree salad.
Smarts #1: Be sure to keep a close eye on everything as it cooks since the intensity of broilers can vary.
Smarts #2: Cook extra bell peppers and onions tonight and save some for Thursday's burritos.
- Steak, skirt or hanger - 1 lb, thinly sliced against the grain
- Adobo Lime Marinade and Vinaigrette (ingredients listed separately) - ¼ cup + ¼ cup
- Foil - for roasting
- Baby kale - 8 oz
- Cheese, shredded cheddar or Mexican blend - 1 cup
- Tortilla chips (opt) - for serving
- Bell peppers, any color - 2, sliced
- Onions, medium - 1, sliced
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Cilantro leaves - 1 tsp, chopped
- Avocados - 1, mashed
- Lime juice - 2 tsp
- Lime juice - 1 Tbsp
- Honey - 1 Tbsp
- Adobo sauce - 2 tsp (from a can of chipotles in adobo)
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 2 tsp
- Cumin, ground - 1/2 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 1/4 cup
- Make marinade / vinaigrette - Whisk together lime juice (portion for marinade / vinaigrette), honey, adobo sauce, soy sauce, cumin, and oil (portion for marinade / vinaigrette). (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Steak - Slice steak into thin strips against the grain. Tenderize with a fork and combine with first portion of marinade / vinaigrette (reserve second portion to dress the salad). (Tip: Freezing the steak for 10 minutes will make it easier to thinly slice.) Marinate for at least 20 minutes and up to 1 day. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Bell peppers / Onions - Prep as directed and combine. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make guacamole - Chop cilantro. Mash avocados and chopped cilantro together. Add lime juice (portion for guacamole). Season with some salt and pepper.
- Turn on the oven’s broiler and place a rack about 6” / 15 cm below the heat source. Line a sheet pan with foil (this is not necessary but will make clean-up much easier).
- Spread bell peppers and onions out on prepared sheet pan and toss with oil (portion for peppers and onions). Season with some salt. Slide pan under the broiler and broil, stirring halfway through, until nearly tender, 4 to 6 minutes.
- Meanwhile, drain marinade off steak (discard marinade). Season steak with some salt and pepper.
- Remove pan from oven and spread steak slices out on top of pepper and onions.
- Broil for another 4 to 10 minutes, until steak is cooked to your liking.
- Reserve about 1 cup / 235 mL of cooked peppers and onions if making Thursday’s meal (this is for 4 servings, adjust if customizing; if not making Thursday’s meal just skip this step and enjoy all of the peppers and onions with tonight’s salads).
- Toss baby kale and cheese with reserved Adobo Lime Vinaigrette until dressed to your liking. Divide between serving plates and top each portion with steak, peppers and onions, and guacamole. Enjoy with tortilla chips.
Soo I made a ridiculous amount of changes because I'm pregnantand exhausted, but I really like the suggestion to broil everything. I bought a raspberry marinade which gave everything a nice sweerness. Also served on rice with some seasoned black beans. Next time I'll add corn and a Pico or salsa. Or maybe I'll make the actual marinade/ dressing in the recipe lol0 Helpful
Very good!! Great flavor! Quick to prepare, if you marinade ahead of time!0 Helpful
Excellent! We loved the whole meal as is. Interesting flavors. Will definitely make again.0 Helpful
Made this as a wrap and added sour cream to vinaigrette to make sauce/spread. So good!0 Helpful
Everyone like this one. We liked the flavorful green, the ease of cooking with the sheet pan, the creaminess offered by the guacamole, and the bright flavor of the marinade/dressing. So good!0 Helpful
I love how quickly this came together. I wish I had cooked the peppers and onions a little longer before adding the steak. Used Ancho Chipolte Adobo paste instead of adobo sauce. Also, we liked the baby Kale, which surprised us.0 Helpful