Salmon with Pesto Butter
and quinoa / asparagus
Since the pesto butter was the star of this meal that we last featured in 2019, we wanted to bring it back with a shortcut of store-bought pesto.
Smarts: If you prefer to make your own pesto, you'll need a small amount tonight and a larger amount for Wednesday's meal. Be sure to make enough for both nights.
- Asparagus - 10 oz, trimmed
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Water - 1 Tbsp
- Lemon juice - 2 tsp
- Butter - 4 Tbsp
- Pesto, store-bought - 2 Tbsp
- Lemons - 1, wedges
- Salmon fillets - 1 lb
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Quinoa - 3/4 cup
- Stock, any type - 1 1/2 cup
- Quinoa - Combine quinoa with stock in a saucepan. Add some salt. Cover and bring to a boil. Lower heat, keep covered, and cook until liquid is absorbed, 8 to 10 minutes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make pesto butter - Defrost butter in the microwave just until soft. Combine butter with pesto. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Asparagus - Trim asparagus. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Lemons - Slice into wedges. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Salmon - Rinse and pat dry. Season with some salt and pepper.
- Heat a large nonstick pan over medium-high heat. Add cooking oil (portion for asparagus) and then asparagus. Sear asparagus, turning with tongs to get it started cooking on all sides. Add water and cover the pan with a lid to steam the asparagus until tender, ~3 minutes for thin spears and up to 8 minutes for thick spears. Season with some salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Wipe out pan and return to heat. Add cooking oil (portion for salmon). Cook fish on both sides until golden brown and cooked through, 6 to 10 minutes total, depending on thickness.
- If quinoa was made ahead, reheat in the microwave.
- Squeeze lemon juice over asparagus.
- Serve salmon and asparagus over quinoa. Spoon pesto butter over salmon while fish is still warm. Serve lemon wedges on the side. Enjoy!
I don't like basil pesto, so we used a red pesto instead - still delicious! Let the bread in about a minute too long so it was a little burnt on the bottom, but otherwise ok. Didn't think this would be enough so added cut fruit, but we would have been satisfied without it.0 Helpful
Loved this! So easy and fast to put together, but looked so fancy!0 Helpful
This meal was simple and delicious!0 Helpful
Loved the pesto butter! Easy and delicious meal. Next time I would season the cod (salmon free household) with something more to add flavor because it seemed to be a little bland.0 Helpful
Delicious and easy.0 Helpful
We felt the pesto butter was a bit rich with the fatty fish, but delicious on the asparagus and orzo (used orzo instead of couscous)0 Helpful