Salmon with Pesto Butter
and couscous / asparagus
Smarts: If you prefer to make your own pesto, you'll need a small amount tonight and a larger amount for Wednesday's meal. Be sure to make enough for both nights.
- Asparagus - 10 oz, trimmed
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Water - 1 Tbsp
- Lemon juice - 2 tsp
- Butter - 4 Tbsp
- Pesto, store-bought - 2 Tbsp
- Lemons - 1, wedges
- Salmon fillets - 1 lb
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Stock, any type - 3/4 cup (sub water)
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Butter - 2 Tbsp
- Couscous - 3/4 cup
- Make couscous - Combine stock, salt, and butter (portion for couscous) in a saucepan. Cover and bring to a boil. Remove from heat. Stir in couscous and cover with lid. Let stand for ~5 minutes before fluffing with a fork. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make pesto butter - Defrost butter (portion for salmon) in the microwave just until soft. Combine butter with pesto. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Asparagus - Trim asparagus. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Lemons - Slice into wedges. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Salmon - Rinse and pat dry. Season with some salt and pepper.
- Heat a large nonstick pan over medium-high heat. Add cooking oil (portion for asparagus) and then asparagus. Sear asparagus, turning with tongs to get it started cooking on all sides. Add water and cover the pan with a lid to steam the asparagus until tender, ~3 minutes for thin spears and up to 8 minutes for thick spears. Season with some salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Wipe out pan and return to heat. Add cooking oil (portion for salmon). Cook fish on both sides until golden brown and cooked through, 6 to 10 minutes total, depending on thickness.
- If couscous was made ahead, reheat in the microwave.
- Squeeze lemon juice over asparagus.
- Serve salmon and asparagus over couscous. Spoon pesto butter over salmon while fish is still warm. Serve lemon wedges on the side. Enjoy!
So easy, so little prep work, and very tasty.0 Helpful
The salmon was good with the pesto sauce. The texture of Couscous was weird. And unfortunately, our asparagus went bad before we got a chance to make this. But that was my fault. I'd try this again because the salmon was so good.0 Helpful
Very good. Quick and easy, took under 30 minutes to prepare in all and fed 40 Helpful
Only made the pan seared asparagus, and it was AMAZING!0 Helpful
I don't like basil pesto, so we used a red pesto instead - still delicious! Let the bread in about a minute too long so it was a little burnt on the bottom, but otherwise ok. Didn't think this would be enough so added cut fruit, but we would have been satisfied without it.0 Helpful
Loved this! So easy and fast to put together, but looked so fancy!0 Helpful