Persian Flatbread with Egg
with baby kale salad / herb yogurt dressing
A Persian-inspired blend of spices is brushed over flatbread for this hearty meal with unique flavors. A fresh salad on the side adds balance and color.
- Garlic - 1 clove, chopped
- Oil, olive - 2 Tbsp
- Cumin, ground - 1/2 tsp
- Cinnamon - 1/4 tsp
- Coriander, ground - 1/4 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/4 tsp
- Pita bread - 4 rounds
- Hummus - 4 oz
- Oil, cooking - 2 Tbsp
- Eggs - 4
- Pistachios, shelled - 1/2 cup
- Pomegranate seeds - 1/2 cup (look for these removed from the pomegranate shells in the produce section)
- Cucumbers - 8 oz, chopped
- Baby kale - 6 oz
- Cheese, feta - 4 oz, crumbled
- Parsley - 2 tsp, chopped
- Yogurt, plain or Greek - 1 cup
- Vinegar, white wine - 2 tsp
- Honey - 1/2 tsp
- Pistachios (if not already shelled) / Pomegranate seeds (if not already shelled) / Garlic / Parsley - (If prepping right before cooking, get oven heating first.) Prep as directed and store separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make herb-spice oil - Whisk together olive oil, garlic, cumin, cinnamon, coriander, and black pepper. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make dressing - Whisk together parsley, yogurt, vinegar, and honey. Season with some salt and pepper. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Cucumbers - Chop cucumbers.
- Heat oven to 450F / 232C. Spray a sheet pan with nonstick cooking spray or brush with some cooking oil (use two sheet pans if needed). Arrange pita bread in a single layer.
- Transfer sheet pan to oven and toast pita on one side until it begins to turn golden, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Flip pita bread so toasted side is facing down. Brush herb-spice oil over top of pita and spread with hummus. Return to the oven and continue baking just until golden, 2 to 4 minutes more.
- While pita is toasting, heat a nonstick pan with cooking oil over medium heat. Crack eggs into heated oil and fry on one side for sunny-side up or flip and cook on both sides for over-easy. Season eggs with some salt and pepper as they cook.
- Meanwhile, combine pistachios, pomegranate seeds, cucumbers, baby kale, and feta in a large bowl.
- Just before serving, toss salad with dressing until dressed to your liking.
- Serve flatbread with an egg on top and salad on the side. Enjoy!
We LOVED this meal! It was quick to put together and delicious. Even the kids ate it all up. We skipped the pomegranate seeds because my husband can never find them, but we didn't feel like we were missing them. I'm going to add this to the rotation. It's a great meal for the spring and summer. We also thought it would be really good in a warm pita with the meatballs, salad and dressing!2 Helpful
Salad was fantastic - I didn't even put the dressing on it, just used the olive oil and lemon juice. The meatballs fell apart when we were cooking them - maybe I made them too small? We meal prep on the weekend, so this was breeze to put together. Otherwise it would have been tough.0 Helpful
The turkey kofta were tasty, but I think they'd have been better if they were lamb or beef. The salad, however, was a definite keeper!0 Helpful
This was a simple meal that was a hit with the whole family.0 Helpful
Really loved this. Subbed ground lamb and added smoked paprika and parsley to the spice mix. Can't get pomegranates this time of year so I subbed dried cranberries and used sunflower seeds and pita chips in the salad.0 Helpful
Turkey balls were yummy. COuldnt make the salad cause my greens went bad :( Would make again!0 Helpful
Whole family gave thumbs up. Cooking meat in broth made it juicy and yummy. Loved the salad!0 Helpful