Sushi Roll Salad
with tofu / avocado / pickled ginger
This sushi-inspired salad was featured in 2020, but it has such a light fresh feel, we wanted to bring it back this spring.
Sushi Roll Salad:
- Tofu, extra-firm - 16 oz , 1" / 2.5 cm slices (vacuum-packed preferable)
- Seaweed, dried (opt) - for serving , thinly sliced
- Cucumbers - 8 oz , chopped
- Lettuce, romaine - 2 hearts , chopped
- Green onions - 2 stalks , chopped, green and white parts combined
- Avocados - 2 , cubed
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Sesame seeds, white or black (opt) - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Cashews - 1/4 cup
- Pickled ginger - 1/4 cup , drained
- Wasabi (opt) - for serving
Sesame Ginger Dressing:
- Ginger, fresh - 1 tsp , grated
- Garlic - 2 cloves , chopped
- Vinegar, rice - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 2 tsp
- Miso - 1 tsp
- Honey - 1 tsp
- Oil, toasted sesame - 1 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 2 1/2 Tbsp
- Tofu - If tofu is packaged in water, press out liquid first, like in this video. Then slice into 1” / 2.5 cm thick slices. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Make dressing - Grate ginger and chop garlic. Combine ginger, garlic, vinegar, soy sauce, miso, honey, toasted sesame oil, and cooking oil (portion for dressing). Whisk until smooth. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Seaweed / Cucumbers / Lettuce / Green onions / Avocados - Prep as directed.
Unlock this meal along with hundreds of smart meal plans and never stress about "What's for dinner?" againTry for free
- Heat a large skillet with cooking oil (portion for salad) over medium heat.
- While skillet is heating up, season tofu slices on both sides with some salt and pepper. Pour sesame seeds into a shallow bowl or baking dish. Press tofu slices into sesame seeds to coat on both sides.
- Transfer the sesame-coated tofu to heated skillet and sear on both sides until tofu is heated through and sesame seeds are lightly toasted. Remove pan from heat while you assemble salads.
- Assemble salads by tossing cucumbers, lettuce, green onions, avocados, and cashews in half the dressing. Divide between serving bowls.
- Arrange tofu on top of salads. Finish salads with additional dressing if you’d like. Top with sliced seaweed and serve with some pickled ginger and wasabi.