Lasagna Zucchini Boats
with Italian sausage / kale
For a paleo-friendly twist on lasagna, these zucchini boats offer all the flavor and some extra nutrition too.
Smarts: This recipe is just for the zucchini boats, but if you want a side dish, these would be great with roasted garlic broccoli or a simple green salad.
- Kale - 1 bunch, stems removed leaves finely chopped
- Bell peppers, red or green - 1, diced
- Mushrooms, any button - 8 oz, chopped
- Oil, olive - 1 Tbsp
- Italian sausage, mild or hot - 12 oz
- Italian seasoning - 1 tsp
- Tomato paste - 2 Tbsp
- Crushed tomatoes (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can
- Water - 1/2 cup
- Zucchini, medium - 4 (~½ lb / 227 g per zucchini)
- Red pepper flakes (opt) - 1/4 tsp
- Kale / Bell peppers - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Mushrooms - Chop mushrooms, if not pre-chopped. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make sauce - (If prepping right before cooking, get oven heating and start roasting zucchini halves while sauce simmers.) Heat olive oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add sausage and saute, breaking it apart, until browned in spots and nearly cooked through, 6 to 7 minutes. Stir in kale, bell peppers, and mushrooms and saute for 5 minutes more. Stir in Italian seasoning and tomato paste. Pour crushed tomatoes and water over sausage and reduce heat to a low simmer. Simmer, uncovered, for 6 to 8 minutes to let the flavors develop and the sauce thicken. Taste and season with some salt and pepper. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Zucchini - Slice in half lengthwise and then use a spoon to scoop out the center of each zucchini half, leaving ~1/2” / 1.25 cm thick shell on all sides (discard the center you scoop out or save it for another purpose). Check out this video. (Can be done up to 4 days ahead)
- Heat oven to 400F / 204C.
- Brush a sheet pan with some cooking oil. Place zucchini halves on pan, cut-side facing up. Sprinkle zucchini with some salt and pepper.
- Transfer pan to heated oven and bake until zucchini halves are starting to turn tender and golden, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Remove zucchini from oven and fill with sauce. (Note: If you line the zucchini up so they are touching it will make it easier to spoon the filling in.)
- Return zucchini to oven. Bake for 10 minutes to let the flavors come together.
- When zucchini is done roasting, sprinkle with some red pepper flakes if you’d like. Enjoy!
Easy and delicious meal! I substituted ricotta and egg with tofu ricotta.1 Helpful
I love a good zucchini boat. I added cheese to half (I am not 100% Paleo all the time). Husband and I enjoyed it.0 Helpful
Very tasty - but needed much longer to cook then stated. Used spinach instead of kale and left out the mushrooms (because I loathe mushrooms). Used a really yummy sausage. Family loved it.0 Helpful
Made it with onion garlic and carrot to up the veggies, and some leftover frito. Great0 Helpful
This was a delicious lasagna! I'm not a fan of mushrooms so I omitted them and just doubled the sausage. It was really good with garlic bread on the side!0 Helpful
doubled the seasoning. It cooked over in the oven. Would use a bigger pan next time. Flavors were outstanding.0 Helpful
We added garlic and extra spices to the sauce due to the comments, but we would also add slightly more tomatoes to increase the volume of the sauce.0 Helpful