Spanish Baked Risotto
with beans / olives / peas and carrots
Spanish-inspired risotto goes straight from the stovetop to the oven in this one pan meal that was last featured in 2019. Smarts: Cook time can vary slightly depending on the age of the rice, so be sure to check it for doneness before pulling the risotto out of the oven.
- Onions, medium - 1, diced
- Garlic - 2 cloves, chopped
- Coriander, ground - 1 1/2 tsp
- Cumin - 1 1/2 tsp
- Turmeric - 1/2 tsp
- Oregano, dried - 1/2 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/2 tsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Peas and carrots, frozen - 1 1/2 cups
- Chives (opt) - 2 tsp, chopped
- Lemons - 1, wedges
- Beans, navy or cannellini (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can , drained and rinsed
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Tomato paste - 2 Tbsp
- Vinegar, apple cider - 2 tsp
- Rice, Arborio - 1 cup
- Wine, white - 1/2 cup
- Stock, any type - 3 cups
- Olives, green and pitted - 1 cup
- Olive brine (opt) - 2 tsp (from a jar of olives)
- Salsa (opt) - for serving
- Yogurt, plain or Greek (opt) - for serving
- Tortilla chips (opt) - for serving
- Onions / Garlic - (If prepping right before cooking, get oven heating before continuing with prep.) - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Spice mix - Combine coriander, cumin, turmeric, oregano, black pepper, and salt. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Peas and carrots - Defrost.
- Chives / Lemons - Prep as directed.
- Beans - Drain and rinse.
- Heat oven to 400F / 204C.
- Heat a Dutch oven with a lid over medium-high heat. Add oil and then onions with some salt. Saute until soft, ~3 minutes. Add garlic and spice mix and saute 1 minute. Add tomato paste and saute 1 minute more.
- Add vinegar to pan and saute for 1 minute, scraping up any brown bits on the bottom of the pan.
- Add rice and stir until coated in spices.
- Stir in wine, stock, peas and carrots, beans, olives, and olive brine and bring to a simmer. Cover with a lid and transfer to the oven. Bake, covered, until rice is tender and has absorbed all of the liquid, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Squeeze half the lemon wedges over the finished dish. Top with chives.
- Serve risotto with salsa, yogurt, and chips for scooping up rice and toppings. Enjoy!
Loved this! Going into our regular rotation. Cooked 10 minutes longer in order for rice to cook through all the way. I thought the extra time might dry out the chicken, but it was great! Made kids plain white rice, but they liked the chicken. Use smaller olives next time and maybe try paleo version since kids won't eat the rice anyway.1 Helpful
Definitely needed the extra time - our rice was a little hard, but we couldn't wait that much later to eat since it was a school night. The flavor was really good (we doubled the spices). If we make this again, I'll add extra time for the rice.0 Helpful
Added a bell peoper because it felt like it wanted a little more veg0 Helpful
Added 1/4 cup more water. Followed others’ advice and cooked it 10 mins longer. I agree that it could use a stir halfway through.0 Helpful
Liked it, but not a favorite. Of course, I left out the olives (yuck), so that might have been it.0 Helpful
Really delicious my husband also loved it. In the future I would make it all on the stovetop, the rice didn’t evenly get cooked and I think more frequent stirring on the stovetop would help. Had to cook it an extra 8 minutes and still not all the rice was evenly cooked. Didn’t add any olives because olives are ew.0 Helpful
Was a huge hit!0 Helpful