Chicken Teriyaki Lettuce Cups
with miso soup
Chicken Teriyaki Lettuce Cups:
- Iceberg lettuce - 8 leaves , sub large outer leaves from Romaine hearts
- Water chestnuts - 5 oz , drained and chopped
- Mushrooms, shiitake - 8 oz , chopped
- Green onions - 1 stalk , chopped
- Oil, cooking - 2 Tbsp
- Chicken, ground - 1 1/2 lbs (sub lean ground beef)
- Garlic - 2 cloves , chopped
- Ginger, fresh - 2 tsp , grated
- Water - 1/2 cup + 1 Tbsp
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 3 Tbsp
- Mirin - 2 Tbsp
- Brown sugar - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Cornstarch - 2 tsp
- Green onions - 1 stalk , sliced
- Water - 6 cups
- Miso paste, any type - 5 Tbsp
- Garlic / Ginger - Prep as directed and combine. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make teriyaki sauce - Combine garlic, ginger, first portion of water (for sauce), soy sauce, mirin, and brown sugar. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Iceberg lettuce / Water chestnuts / Mushrooms / Green onions (for lettuce cups and soup) - Prep as directed. For lettuce, slice off stem and then peel off leaves from the stem end. Store separately. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Bring a saucepan with water (portion for soup) to a boil. Put miso paste into a separate bowl and whisk some of the hot water into the miso paste until it’s smooth, like peanut butter. Pour miso into the boiling water and lower to a simmer.
- While miso soup is simmering, heat a wok or skillet with oil over medium-high heat. Add chicken and saute, breaking it apart until just starting to cook through, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Stir in mushrooms and water chestnuts. Cook for another 4 to 5 minutes until chicken is cooked through and mushrooms are very tender.
- Pour teriyaki sauce over chicken and bring to a simmer.
- Meanwhile, whisk together cornstarch and second portion of water (for sauce). Add cornstarch mixture to pan with chicken and stir everything together. Continue cooking until sauce thickens and coats ingredients, 3 to 5 minutes more.
- Season miso soup with salt if needed. Spoon chicken filling into lettuce cups and divide miso soup between serving bowls. Garnish both with green onions. Enjoy!