Kale Caesar Salad with Crispy Chickpeas
with artichokes / avocados / croutons
Smarts: This recipe includes homemade dressing and croutons, but store-bought versions of those ingredients will make this meal extra simple.
- Garlic - 1 clove, chopped
- Mayonnaise - 2 Tbsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 2 tsp
- Lemon juice - 2 tsp
- Soy sauce - 1 tsp
- Oil, olive - 4 Tbsp
- Cornstarch - 2 tsp
- Lemon zest - 2 tsp
- Black pepper - 1 tsp
- Salt - 1 tsp
- Sugar - 1/4 tsp
- Beans, garbanzo (14 oz / 397 g) - 2 cans, drained and rinsed
- Butter - 2 Tbsp
- Lemon juice - 1 tsp
- Bread, any type - 6 oz, cubed (we like sourdough or rye bread here)
- Kale, any type - 1 bunch, stems removed and leaves shredded
- Lettuce, romaine - 1 heart, shredded
- Artichokes, marinated in oil (6.5 oz / 184 g) - 1 jar, drained and rinsed
- Avocados - 1, cubed
- Make vegetarian Caesar dressing - (If prepping right before cooking, get oven heating before continuing.) Chop garlic. Combine garlic with mayonnaise, mustard, lemon juice, soy sauce, and olive oil. If you prefer a smooth dressing, you can blend it with an immersion blender. Season with some salt and pepper. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Bread / Kale / Lettuce / Artichokes - Prep as directed. If artichoke hearts are large, roughly chop them. Store separately. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Make seasoning - Combine cornstarch, paprika, lemon zest, black pepper, salt, and sugar.
- Avocados - Cube avocados.
- Beans - Drain and rinse beans.
- Heat oven to 400F / 204C.
- Spread bread cubes out on a sheet pan. Drizzle with some cooking oil and some salt and toss to combine. Transfer to oven and bake, shaking the pan halfway through cooking, until flatbread cubes are crisp and golden, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Toss beans in seasoning until evenly coated.
- Heat a large nonstick pan with butter over low-medium heat.
- Add seasoned beans to melted butter and cook, stirring frequently, until deep golden brown.
- Set beans aside and squeeze lemon juice over top.
- Give dressing a stir. If it is too thick to easily pour, whisk in some water to thin.
- To assemble salads, toss together kale, lettuce, artichokes, avocados, croutons, and some of the dressing. Top salads with chickpeas and drizzle with some more dressing if you’d like.
Next time get the beans going whilst prepping everything else (used store bought croutons because who has the time???) Loved it though, exactly the amount of veg I was craving1 Helpful
Love this meal0 Helpful
Tasty and filling!0 Helpful
I have made this salad a bunch of times. I just grill plain chicken. It is so good and easy.0 Helpful
Chickpeas didn't turn out as crispy as I'd like, but overall this was a tasty meal. Did the store-bought croutons - I'm sure home made would have been great, but would have added way too much time for a weeknight meal (we already do meal prep, but would have made that a lot longer too...)0 Helpful
couldn't decide so we made both the chickpeas and the chicken and it was delicious! lemon pepper seasoning was awesome. did manage to set off the fire alarm - watch for smoke when cooking with butter at high temperatures :)0 Helpful
Very good! The instructions mention to add paprika to the seasoning mix but it's not listed in the ingredients. I added a couple of dashes and it gave the chickpeas a nice kick.0 Helpful