Creamy Italian Chicken Soup
with potatoes / pancetta / peas
Creamy Italian Chicken Soup:
- Rotisserie chicken - 1/2 , shredded
- Onions, medium - 1 , chopped
- Carrots - 8 oz , chopped
- Pancetta - 4 oz , chopped
- Potatoes, Russet - 1 lb , peeled and cubed
- Peas, frozen - 1 cup
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Flour, all-purpose - 2 Tbsp
- Italian seasoning - 1 tsp
- Paprika - 1/2 tsp
- Garlic powder - 1/4 tsp
- Stock, any type - 4 1/2 cups
- Bay leaves - 2
- Heavy cream - 1/4 cup
- Vinegar, balsamic - 2 tsp
- Crusty bread (opt) - for serving
- Rotisserie chicken - (If making Thursday's meal, shred chicken for that meal at the same time.) Take meat off the bone and shred. Use a knife and fork or your hands. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Onions / Carrots / Pancetta - Prep as directed. Combine onions and carrots in one container. Store pancetta separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Potatoes - Peel and cube potatoes. If not cooking them right away, soak in water to prevent browning.
- Peas - Defrost peas.
- Heat a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add oil and then pancetta. Cook, stirring occasionally, until pancetta is crisp. Use a slotted spoon to transfer pancetta to a paper-towel lined plate. Strain off all but 1 Tbsp / 15ml (for 4 servings; adjust if customizing) oil. Return pan to heat.
- To heated pan, add onions and carrots with a pinch of salt. Saute until tender, ~4 minutes. Add flour, Italian seasoning, paprika, and garlic powder and cook, stirring for 1 minute more.
- Add stock, potatoes, and bay leaves to pot. Bring to a simmer. Cover and reduce heat. Simmer until potatoes are tender, 13 to 17 minutes (depending on the size).
- When potatoes are tender, stir in chicken (reserve Thursday’s portion if you shredded it at the same time), cream, peas, and vinegar. Continue to simmer soup just until chicken is warmed through. Taste and season with some salt and pepper.
- Divide soup between bowls. Sprinkle pancetta on top. Serve with crusty bread for dipping.