Deconstructed Stuffed Cabbage Soup
with ground turkey / cauliflower rice
If you’ve ever made stuffed cabbage rolls, you know it is a time consuming endeavor! To make the dish weeknight friendly, we transformed it into this “deconstructed” soup. We think it's almost as good as the original without all the work. A similar version of the soup was featured in 2017 but this time around we're stirring in cauliflower rice at the end of cooking.
- Cauliflower - 12 oz
- Butter - 1 Tbsp
Deconstructed Stuffed Cabbage Soup:
- Sweet potatoes - 12 oz , cubed
- Shallots - 2 cloves , chopped
- Garlic - 2 cloves , chopped
- Bell peppers, fire-roasted - 3/4 cup , chopped
- Turkey, ground - 1 lb (sub any ground meat)
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Coriander, ground - 1/2 tsp
- Oregano, dried - 1/2 tsp
- Paprika, smoked - 1/2 tsp
- Garlic powder - 1/2 tsp
- Red pepper flakes (opt) - 1/2 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Coleslaw mix - 10 oz (sub shredded cabbage)
- Tomato paste - 3 Tbsp
- Vinegar, sherry - 1 Tbsp
- Stock, any type - 4 cups
- Lemon juice - 1 tsp
- Cauliflower rice - (Skip if made ahead for Tuesday.) Pulse florets in a food processor until broken up into ‘rice’-sized bits. Cook rice in one of two ways: 1) Microwave for 4 to 5 minutes and then fold in butter. Season with some salt and pepper; or 2) Heat a pan over medium-high heat and add butter. Saute cauliflower in heated butter for ~5 minutes, until tender but still crunchy. Season to taste with some salt and pepper. Watch this video for the full how-to on cauliflower rice. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Sweet potatoes / Shallots / Garlic / Bell peppers - Prep as directed. Store sweet potatoes in one container. Combine shallots, garlic, and bell peppers in another container. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Season turkey - Combine ground turkey with salt, coriander, oregano, paprika, garlic powder, and red pepper flakes (if using). Mix with hands or a wooden spoon. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add oil and then slaw mix. Saute 2 to 3 minutes to get it started cooking.
- Add shallots, garlic, bell peppers, and tomato paste and saute until fragrant, ~2 minutes more. Add sherry vinegar and scrape up any browned bits on the bottom of the pan.
- Fold in seasoned ground turkey and break up with a wooden spoon. Brown meat for 4 to 6 minutes.
- Pour stock and sweet potatoes over turkey. Cover and bring to a boil and then simmer uncovered for 15 to 20 minutes, until potatoes are tender.
- Once sweet potatoes are tender, stir in cauliflower rice just until warm, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Remove pan from heat and stir lemon juice into soup. Taste and season with some salt and pepper.
- Divide soup between serving bowls and enjoy!