Sweet Soy Tempeh Hawaiian Salad
with pineapple / cashews / bell peppers
With tempeh simmered in sweet and savory vinaigrette, this tropical salad comes together fast.
Smarts: This recipe features a new method we’ve found for preparing tempeh. Steaming the tempeh tenderizes it and gives it a more neutral flavor - perfect for soaking up flavorful sauce.
- Bell peppers, red - 1 , diced
- Pineapple, fresh or canned - 1 cup , chopped
- Lettuce, romaine hearts - 2 , chopped (sub any salad greens)
- Avocados - 1 , cubed
- Sweet and Sour Tempeh (ingredients listed separately) - 16 oz
- Sweet Soy Vinaigrette (ingredients listed separately) - 5 Tbsp
- Cashews - 1/2 cup
- Tempeh - 16 oz , cubed (sub extra firm tofu)
- Water - 1/4 cup
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Sweet Soy Vinaigrette (ingredients listed separately) - 2 Tbsp
- Sugar - 1 Tbsp
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 2 Tbsp
- Vinegar, rice - 2 Tbsp
- Oil, cooking - 2 Tbsp
- Oil, toasted sesame - 2 tsp
- Miso paste, any type - 1 tsp
- Sesame seeds, white (opt) - 1 Tbsp
Tempeh / Bell peppers - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
Make vinaigrette - Combine sugar, soy sauce, vinegar, cooking oil (portion for vinaigrette), toasted sesame oil, and miso paste. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
Steam tempeh - (This is a new method we’ve found for preparing tempeh. Steaming the tempeh tenderizes it and gives it a more neutral flavor - perfect for soaking up flavorful sauce.) Combine tempeh and water in a microwave-safe bowl. Cover with a paper towel. Microwave on high for 5 minutes. Drain off water. Dry tempeh by spinning in a salad spinner or patting very dry with paper towels.
Pineapple / Lettuce - Prep as directed. (If using canned pineapple, drain and rinse.) Store separately. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
Avocados - Cube avocados.
Warm vinaigrette in the microwave or in a small saucepan over medium heat, whisking frequently, until sugar and miso paste are dissolved. Stir in sesame seeds. Set aside.
Heat a wok or skillet with cooking oil (portion for tempeh) over medium-high heat. Add tempeh and cook on all sides until warmed through and lightly seared, 4 to 5 minutes. Add vinaigrette (portion for tempeh) and cook for 1-2 minutes more, until tempeh soaks up vinaigrette.
Assemble salads by tossing lettuce, pineapple, bell peppers, and avocados with vinaigrette (portion for salad) until dressed to your liking. Top with tempeh and cashews. Enjoy!