Chinese Hot and Sour Soup with Pork
with cauliflower fried 'rice'
When we first featured this homemade hot and sour soup in 2018, reviewers loved making this takeout favorite at home.
Smarts: Feel free to use any vegetables you have on hand in your cauliflower fried 'rice'. Frozen vegetables are easy, but finely chopped fresh vegetables work just as well.
- Mushrooms, shiitake - 4 oz , sliced (look for pre-sliced to save time)
- Pork, boneless loin - 1 lb , cut into 1/4” / .6 cm strips
- Bamboo shoots, canned - 3 oz , sliced into thin strips
- Eggs - 2 , whisked
- Green onions - 2 stalks , chopped, green and white parts combined
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Oil, toasted sesame - 2 tsp
- Stock, any type - 5 cups
- Bragg's / coconut aminos - 3 Tbsp
- Vinegar, rice - 1 Tbsp
- Ground white pepper - 1/4 tsp (sub black pepper)
- Red pepper flakes - 1/4 tsp
- Lemon juice - 2 tsp
- Frozen vegetables, any mix - 1 cup (look for frozen peas and carrots or a stir-fry mix)
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Cooked cauliflower rice (leftover from Monday) - ~2 cups
- Bragg's / coconut aminos - 1 Tbsp
- Vinegar, rice - 2 tsp
- Hot sauce (opt) - for serving
Mushrooms - Slice, if not pre-sliced. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
Pork - Slice against the grain into 1/4” / .6 cm strips. Tenderize with a fork. Season with some salt and pepper. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
Bamboo shoots - Drain and rinse. Most come pre-sliced, but slice them down further into small strips. (They will be easier to eat in the soup that way.)
Frozen vegetables - Defrost in the microwave and drain off any water.
Eggs - Whisk eggs.
Green onions - Chop green onions.
Reduce heat to medium and add toasted sesame oil. To heated oil add mushrooms and saute until tender, 3 to 4 minutes.
Pour stock over mushrooms and bring to a simmer. Add aminos (portion for soup), vinegar (portion for soup), white pepper, red pepper flakes, and bamboo shoots to soup. Add pork back into pan. Simmer for 5 minutes to let flavors develop.
While soup simmers, heat a wok with cooking oil (portion for cauliflower rice) over medium-high heat. Add vegetables and saute until liquid is cooked off and vegetables are starting to brown and sizzle in the bottom of the pan. Stir in cauliflower rice, aminos (portion for cauliflower rice), and rice vinegar (portion for cauliflower rice) and cook for 1 minute more. Taste and season with a pinch of salt or some more vinegar. Set aside.
Return to soup. While stirring soup in one direction, slowly pour in whisked eggs. Stir in lemon juice and green onions. Season with some more vinegar and / or salt and pepper.
Divide soup between serving bowls. Enjoy cauliflower fried rice (with some hot sauce if you’d like) on the side.