Chinese Hot and Sour Soup with Shiitakes
with simple fried rice
When we first featured this homemade hot and sour soup in 2018, reviewers loved making this takeout favorite at home.
Smarts: Feel free to use any vegetables you have on hand in your fried rice. Frozen vegetables are easy, but finely chopped fresh vegetables work just as well.
- Tofu, extra firm - 12 oz , cut into 1/2” / 1.3cm cubes (vacuum packed preferable)
- Mushrooms, shiitake - 4 oz , sliced (look for pre-sliced to save time)
- Bamboo shoots, canned - 3 oz , sliced into thin strips
- Eggs - 2 , whisked
- Green onions - 2 stalks , chopped, green and white parts combined
- Oil, toasted sesame - 1 Tbsp
- Stock, any type - 5 cups
- Tamari - 3 Tbsp
- Vinegar, rice - 1 Tbsp
- Sugar (opt) - 1/2 tsp
- Ground white pepper - 1/4 tsp (sub black pepper)
- Red pepper flakes - 1/4 tsp
- Cornstarch - 2 Tbsp
- Water - 3 Tbsp
- Lemon juice - 2 tsp
- Frozen vegetables, any mix - 1 cup (look for frozen peas and carrots or a stir-fry mix)
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Cooked rice (leftover from Monday) - ~1 1/2 cups
- Tamari - 1 Tbsp
- Vinegar, rice - 2 tsp
- Hot sauce (opt) - for serving
Tofu - If tofu is packaged in water, press out liquid first. Then slice into 0.5” / 1.25 cm cubes. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
Mushrooms - Slice, if not pre-sliced. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
Bamboo shoots - Drain and rinse. Most come pre-sliced, but slice them down further into small strips. (They will be easier to eat in the soup that way.)
Frozen vegetables - Defrost in the microwave and drain off any water.
Eggs - Whisk eggs.
Green onions - Chop green onions.
Pour stock over mushrooms and bring to a simmer. Add Tamari (portion for soup), vinegar (portion for soup), sugar, white pepper, red pepper flakes, tofu, and bamboo shoots to soup. Whisk together cornstarch and water and add to soup while stirring. Simmer for 5 minutes to let soup thicken and flavors develop.
While soup simmers, heat a wok with cooking oil over medium-high heat. Add vegetables and saute until liquid is cooked off and vegetables are starting to brown and sizzle in the bottom of the pan. Stir in rice, Tamari (portion for rice), and rice vinegar (portion for rice) and cook for 1 minute more. Taste and season with a pinch of salt or some more vinegar. Set aside.
Return to soup. While stirring soup in one direction, slowly pour in whisked eggs. Stir in lemon juice and green onions. Season with some more vinegar and / or salt and pepper.
Divide soup between serving bowls. Enjoy fried rice (with some hot sauce if you’d like) on the side.