Buffalo Tempeh Salad
with blue cheese dressing
Smarts: This recipe features a new method we’ve found for preparing tempeh. Steaming the tempeh tenderizes it and gives it a more neutral flavor - perfect for soaking up flavorful sauce.
- Ketchup - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Hot sauce - 1 1/2 Tbsp (more or less to taste)
- Honey - 1 Tbsp
- Lemon juice - 1 tsp
- Garlic powder - 1/4 tsp
- Tempeh - 16 oz, cubed (sub extra firm tofu)
- Carrots - 8 oz, thinly sliced
- Celery - 2 ribs, thinly sliced
- Water - 1/4 cup
- Cornstarch - 1 Tbsp
- Lettuce, romaine - 8 oz, chopped
- Cucumbers - 8 oz, chopped
- Blue cheese - 3 oz, crumbled
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Blue cheese - 1 oz
- Chives - 1 tsp, chopped
- Mayonnaise - 3 Tbsp
- Yogurt, plain or Greek - 1/4 cup
- Vinegar, white wine - 2 tsp
- Lemon juice - 1 tsp
- Make dressing - Warm blue cheese (portion for dressing) in the microwave until soft / melted, ~15 seconds. Chop chives. Whisk together blue cheese, chives, mayonnaise, yogurt, vinegar, and lemon juice (portion for dressing). (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make buffalo sauce - Whisk together ketchup, hot sauce, honey, lemon juice (portion for buffalo chicken), and garlic powder. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Tempeh / Carrots / Celery - Prep as directed. Store tempeh in one container. Combine carrots and celery in another container. If prepping ahead, cover vegetables with cool water and store in the refrigerator to help them retain their crunch. Drain well before using. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Steam tempeh - Combine tempeh and water in a microwave-safe bowl. Cover with a paper towel. Microwave on high for 5 minutes. Drain off water. Dry tempeh by spinning in a salad spinner or patting very dry with paper towels. Toss dry tempeh with cornstarch and some salt and pepper.
- Lettuce / Cucumbers / Blue cheese (portion for salad) - Prep as directed.
- Give dressing a stir. If it is too thick to easily pour, stir in water a small amount at a time.
- Heat a skillet or wok with oil over medium-high heat. Cook tempeh on one side without moving until lightly browned, 3 to 4 minutes. Flip tempeh to the other side and continue cooking for another 3 to 4 minutes. Season tempeh with some salt as it cooks. When tempeh is lightly browned on both sides, pour buffalo sauce over top, stirring to combine. Continue cooking until tempeh is completely coated in sauce, 3 to 4 minutes more. Taste and add more hot sauce if you’d like.
- Assemble salads by forming a bed of lettuce with cucumbers, carrots, and celery. Top with warm tempeh and blue cheese crumbles. Finish with dressing. Enjoy!
This recipe was a dream, pleasing the grown-ups and our adventurous 8-year-old. We loved having a salad with bold flavors! We used the air fryer and made chicken and tempeh in two batches.0 Helpful
Didn’t turn this into a salad, just dipped tempeh into store bought (Toby’s) blue cheese dressing like vegetarian wings. Added CS grilled za’atar veggies and celery pear salad on the side.0 Helpful
Really good, for the adults.0 Helpful
Loved this! I subbed bbq sauce for ketchup and no fresh chives in Montana this time of year. Would make again and again!0 Helpful
Loved the chicken and the dressing! I halved the hot sauce because I don’t like a lot of spice, but I would do the full amount next time.0 Helpful
This was good! I enjoyed the chicken and the dressing although my family preferred to use ranch dressing. My 6 year old daughter didn’t like that we were having salad for dinner but she survived.0 Helpful