Mussels and Chorizo
Mussels are not only easy to cook but extremely fast. In this version, spicy chorizo balances the richness of a sauce made with white wine and tomatoes. You'll want a good loaf of bread to serve on the side for soaking up all that flavorful sauce! Find a similar recipe in our archives from 2017.
Mussels and Chorizo:
- Zucchini - 1 lb , chopped
- Garlic - 2 cloves , chopped
- Mushrooms, any button - 8 oz , chopped (look for pre-chopped to save time)
- Mussels, cleaned and debearded - 1 1/2 lbs
- Chives - 1 Tbsp , chopped
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Chorizo, raw - 8 oz (sub Italian sausage)
- White wine - 1/2 cup (sub stock)
- Stock, any type - 1 cup
- Tomatoes, diced and preferably fire-roasted (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can
- Lemon juice - 1 Tbsp
- Baguette, for serving - 1
- Zucchini / Garlic - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Mushrooms - Chop mushrooms (skip if already chopped). (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Mussels - Clean and debeard mussels (this is usually done by your fishmonger, but in the rare case that yours did not come debearded, here’s a demo from The Kitchn). Scrub and soak in a bowl of water. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Chives - Chop chives.
- Baguette - Slice.
- Heat a Dutch oven or saute pan with a lid with oil over medium heat. Add chorizo and cook, breaking it apart, until browned, 8 to 10 minutes. Drain oil off chorizo and return pan to heat.
- Add mushrooms and garlic to pan and cook until mushrooms are starting to soften, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Pour wine into pan and bring to a simmer. Simmer for 1 minute.
- Stir in stock, zucchini, and tomatoes (including liquid). Bring to a boil.
- Add mussels and cover with a lid. Cook, covered, for 6 to 8 minutes, until mussels have opened up.
- While mussels steam, toast baguette. (You can spread the toasted baguette slices with some butter or brush them with some olive oil if you’d like.)
- Return to mussels. If any haven’t opened up, discard those. Squeeze lemon juice over top. Taste cooking liquid and season with some salt, if needed.
- Garnish mussels with chives. Enjoy with baguette.