Skillet Enchiladas with Ground Beef
and cheese / tortillas
Smarts: We featured this recipe in 2018 with a homemade enchilada sauce. This time around, we're using a store-bought enchilada sauce to save time, but feel free to use the old version and make your own if you prefer.
- Onions, medium - 1, diced
- Tortillas, taco-sized corn or flour - 8, chopped into bite-sized pieces
- Kale, curly-leaf - 4 leaves, stems discarded, leaves chopped
- Zucchini - 8 oz, diced
- Corn, frozen - 1 cup
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Beef, ground and lean - 1 lb
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Enchilada sauce, store-bought - 2 cups
- Cheese, shredded Monterey Jack - 6 oz (sub cheddar)
- Sour cream - 1/4 cup (sub plain or Greek yogurt)
- Turn on the oven’s broiler.
- Heat a large oven-safe skillet with oil over medium-high heat. Add onions to heated oil. Saute until beginning to soften, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add zucchini with a pinch of salt and saute for 3 minutes more.
- Add beef and salt to the pan and saute until beef is cooked through, 5 to 7 minutes. Drain off any excess liquid / fat.
- Add kale, corn, and enchilada sauce. Continue cooking to heat everything through.
- Remove pan from heat. Stir in tortillas and half the cheese. Top skillet with remaining half of cheese.
- Place skillet under heated broiler and cook until cheese is melted and sauce is bubbling, ~3 minutes (watch it closely to prevent burning).
- Serve skillet enchiladas with sour cream on top. Enjoy!
I made a double batch because my week is crazy and my only adjustment was I needed to use the Dutch oven to hold it all. It was SO So good! Loved it, loved all the veggies, love that I get to eat it again!2 Helpful
This one is a hit! Family loved it and it comes together quickly. I used especially nice Enchilada sauce that i wont be able to get again, so I wonder how it will go when I use a store bought version next time0 Helpful
I love how simple and easy this meal is--it's a go to for an easy weeknight meal.0 Helpful
Easy to make and a great one-pan dish. Skipped the cauliflower rice as there were already plenty of veggies in. Next time I’ll skip the avocado and add the cheese and sour cream from the original as dairy is fine for keto.0 Helpful
Easy dish to make. Didn't have any kale so I used spinach instead. Used a package of frozen zucchini blend which added nice color to the dish. Instead of frozen corn, I used canned corn. Delicious!0 Helpful
Yum!! I make it exactly as provided. Super easy and delicious!0 Helpful
We love the skillet enchiladas. I throw some slaw with Greek yogurt and/or lime juice and/or red wine vinegar usually for bonus crunch.0 Helpful