Kimchi Tofu Ramen
with zucchini / mushrooms
Kimchi Tofu Ramen:
- Tofu, extra-firm - 16 oz , 1/2” / 1.3 cm cubes (vacuum-packed preferable)
- Zucchini - 1 lb , chopped
- Garlic - 5 cloves , chopped
- Ginger - 1 Tbsp , peeled and diced
- Kimchi - 1 cup , chopped
- Vinegar, rice - 2 Tbsp
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 2 Tbsp
- Miso paste, any type - 2 Tbsp
- Mushrooms, shiitakes - 8 oz , chopped (look for pre-chopped to save time)
- Limes - 1 , wedges
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Stock, any type - 5 cups
- Noodles, dried ramen - 6 oz
- Gochujang, plus more for serving - 2 Tbsp
- Tofu - If tofu is packaged in water, press out liquid first, like in this video. Then slice into 1/2” / 1.3 cm thick cubes. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Zucchini / Garlic / Ginger / Kimchi - Prep as directed. Store zucchini in one container. Combine garlic, ginger, and kimchi in another container. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make soup base - Combine vinegar, soy sauce, and miso. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Mushrooms - Chop mushrooms (if not pre-chopped). (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Limes - Slice limes into wedges.
- Heat a Dutch oven with cooking oil over medium heat. Add tofu and cook on all sides until golden brown, 8 to 10 minutes, seasoning with some salt as it cooks.
- Stir in garlic, ginger, and kimchi for 2 minutes until fragrant.
- Stir in soup base for 1 minute. Add zucchini, mushrooms, and stock.
- Bring soup to a boil and then reduce heat to a low simmer. Simmer for 10 minutes to let the flavors develop.
- Stir in noodles and cook until noodles are tender (check package for recommended timing).
- Squeeze half the lime wedges into soup and stir in gochujang. Taste and season with some more soy sauce and / or gochujang if you’d like.
- Ladle ramen into bowls. Serve with extra lime wedges on the side. Enjoy!