Persian Chicken Thighs
with couscous / cucumber and pomegranate salad
A yogurt-based marinade tenderizes and flavors the chicken that is finished on a sheet pan in this colorful meal.
Smarts: Make a double batch of couscous tonight and use the leftovers in the filling for Thursday's stuffed acorn squash.
- Stock, any type - 1 cup (sub water)
- Salt - 1/4 tsp
- Butter - 2 Tbsp
- Couscous, uncooked - 3/4 cup
- Onions, medium - 1/2, sliced
- Yogurt, plain or Greek - 1/2 cup, plus extra for serving
- Oil, olive - 2 Tbsp
- Lemon juice - 2 Tbsp
- Cumin, ground - 1 tsp
- Turmeric, ground - 1 tsp
- Salt - 1 tsp
- Cinnamon, ground - 1/4 tsp
- Chicken thighs, boneless and skinless - 1 lb
- Foil (opt) - for roasting
- Cucumbers - 1 lb, diced (preferably a seedless variety, like English cucumbers)
- Mint leaves - 6, chopped
- Pomegranate seeds - 1/4 cup (look for these removed from the pomegranate shells in the produce section; sub chopped nuts or skip)
- Oil, olive - 1 Tbsp
- Lemon juice - 1 Tbsp
- Make couscous - (Double if making Thursday’s meal.) Combine stock, salt (portion for couscous), and butter in a saucepan. Cover and bring to a boil. Remove from heat. Stir in couscous and cover with lid. Let stand for ~5 minutes before fluffing with a fork. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Onions - Slice onions. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Marinate chicken - (If prepping right before cooking, get oven heating while chicken marinates.) Combine onions, yogurt, olive oil (portion for chicken), lemon juice (portion for chicken), cumin, turmeric, salt (portion for chicken), and ground cinnamon. Add chicken and tenderize with a fork. Marinate for at least 20 minutes and up to 1 day. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Cucumbers / Mint - Prep as directed. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Heat oven to 425F / 218C.
- Line a sheet pan with foil (optional, but will make clean up easy) or brush with some cooking oil. Spread chicken and onions out on prepared sheet pan (no need to drain off marinade). Season with some salt and pepper.
- Transfer sheet pan with chicken and onions to the oven. Roast until chicken is cooked through, 25 to 35 minutes (depending on size). The chicken is done when it reaches 165F / 74C degrees.
- When chicken is nearly done roasting, toss together cucumbers, mint, pomegranate seeds, olive oil (portion for salad), and lemon juice (portion for salad). Season with some salt.
- If couscous was made ahead, reheat in the microwave (reserve half if doubled).
- Serve chicken and onions over couscous with salad on the side. Enjoy!
I like the flavors but everything was really dry. By the time the chicken got to a safe temperature, a lot of the onions were burnt, so there was nothing to really cover the couscous except the chicken.0 Helpful
Delicious and fast! Loved this. 4.5.0 Helpful
Delicious and easy. Salad was so refreshing will definitely make again0 Helpful
Delicious! What a bright, flavorful combination of ingredients!0 Helpful
A new favorite! Easy to make with punches of flavor that work very well together.0 Helpful
Really good! My 3 year old ate seconds of everything and my 5 year old ate the couscous.0 Helpful