Crispy Fish Sandwiches with Creamy Slaw
and roasted honey mustard vegetables
Top crispy, panko-breaded fish with a creamy slaw for a classic fish sandwich. Honey mustard roasted vegetables add flavor and color on the side.
Smarts: When we last featured this meal in 2016, we used roasted vegetable sticks (as shown in the photos), but this time we're recommending cubing them for more even cooking.
- Mayonnaise - 3 Tbsp
- Vinegar, rice - 1 tsp
- Lemon juice - 1 tsp
- Honey - 1/2 tsp
- Coleslaw mix - 10 oz (sub thinly sliced cabbage)
- Fish, any flaky white variety - 1 lb (like tilapia, cod, or snapper)
- Eggs - 1
- Water - 1 tsp
- Panko breadcrumbs - 3/4 cup
- Salt - 1 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/4 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp + 3 Tbsp
- Sandwich rolls - 4
- Lemon juice - 2 tsp
- Carrots - 1 lb, chopped
- Parsnips - 1 lb, chopped
- Oil, cooking - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Honey - 1 Tbsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 1 Tbsp (use whole grain mustard if you have it)
- Carrots / Parsnips - Chop and combine. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Make slaw - Whisk together mayonnaise, vinegar, lemon juice (portion for slaw), and honey (portion for slaw). Fold in coleslaw mix. Refrigerate for 30 minutes to let the flavors come together.
- Fish - Rinse and pat dry. Slice into pieces that will fit nicely into a burger bun. Lightly salt and pepper.
- Prep breading stations - 1) In one bowl or container with lid, lightly whisk eggs with water; 2) In a second bowl or container with lid, mix together panko, salt, pepper, and first part of cooking oil (for fish).
- Heat oven to 400F / 204C.
- Toss carrots and parsnips with oil (portion for vegetables), honey (portion for vegetables), and mustard. Spread out on a sheet pan. Roast until tender, 25 to 30 minutes, flipping halfway through cooking.
- While vegetables roast, dip fish pieces into egg and then panko. (If you’re using containers with lids, you can just dump all the fish into each container, close lid, and shake to coat.) Continue until all fish pieces are breaded.
- Heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Add second part of cooking oil (for fish) and then cook fish on each side for ~4 minutes, until breading is golden and fish is opaque when sliced.
- Brush rolls with some butter or olive oil (not on grocery list) and toast in the oven. Season slaw with some salt and pepper.
- Drizzle lemon juice (portion for fish) over fish, and top buns with fish and slaw. Enjoy with vegetables on the side! If you have extra slaw, serve it on the side.
For some reason when I usually attempt to make panko-crusted anything it just doesn't turn out...and this turned out GREAT. I love how simply and fast this all came together, and it was really tasty.0 Helpful
This was delicious can’t wait to have it again!0 Helpful
We liked it a lot! I used everything seasoning hummus and it added such great flavor. The honey and mustard on the veggies also very tasty.0 Helpful
Very good. I think it needed more spice to it. Next time, and I will fix again, I'll add more to it. Otherwise, very good. :) And easy to prepare. :)0 Helpful
We liked this a lot. Next time I will slice the fish a bit thinner.0 Helpful
The breading with the lemon juice was perfect. I decided to save some time and swap out the parsnips and carrots for some roasted cauliflower using my new air fryer. Yummy!0 Helpful