Mushroom French Dip Sandwich
with mixed greens salad
Mushroom French Dip Sandwich:
- Onions, medium - 1 , thinly sliced
- Mushrooms, any button - 1 lb , sliced (look for pre-sliced to save time)
- Baguette - 1 (sub small French-style rolls, 1 / serving)
- Butter - 2 Tbsp + 2 Tbsp
- Cheese, Swiss - 4 slices
- Butter - 2 Tbsp
- Stock, any type - 1 cup
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 1 Tbsp
- Cornstarch - 1 tsp
Mixed Greens Salad with Dijon Vinaigrette:
- Vinegar, white wine - 1 Tbsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 2 tsp (use a large grain mustard if you have it)
- Honey - 1/2 tsp
- Oil, olive - 2 1/2 Tbsp
- Mixed greens - 6 oz (sub any salad greens)
- Onions - Thinly slice onions. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make vinaigrette - Whisk together vinegar, mustard, and honey. Add olive oil while whisking. Season with some salt and pepper. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Mushrooms - Slice mushrooms (if not already sliced). (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Baguette - Slice baguette in half lengthwise. If using a large baguette, you can go ahead and slice it into the same number of portions as servings you plan to make.
Unlock this meal along with hundreds of smart meal plans and never stress about "What's for dinner?" againTry for free
- Turn on the oven’s broiler. Place a rack 6” / 15 cm beneath the heat source.
- While broiler is heating, melt butter (first portion for sandwiches) in a skillet or saute pan over medium heat. To melted butter, add onions and mushrooms. (It will seem like a lot of mushrooms but they will shrink down.) Saute until onions are translucent and mushrooms are golden brown and very tender, 10 to 12 minutes. Season with some salt and pepper. Set mushrooms and onions aside, leaving pan over heat.
- To heated pan, add butter (portion for au jus) and stir until melted, scraping up any browned bits. Pour stock over top and bring to a simmer. Whisk together soy sauce and cornstarch. Pour into simmering liquid. Continue simmering until au jus thickens slightly, 1 to 2 minutes. (The au jus should still be quite thin, but the cornstarch will help it adhere a bit better to the sandwiches.) Season with some salt and pepper. Pour au jus into small bowls for serving.
- Place baguette, cut-side up on a sheet pan. Spread with butter (second portion for sandwiches) and transfer to oven until lightly toasted, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Fill sandwiches with mushrooms and onions. Top with sliced cheese. Broil until cheese is melted, 2 to 3 minutes more.
- Just before serving, toss greens with vinaigrette.
- Serve sandwich with au jus for dipping and salad on the side. Enjoy!