[Leftover] Pot Roast French Dip Sandwich
with mixed greens salad
Smarts: The au jus used for dipping should still be quite thin, but adding a bit of cornstarch helps it to adhere to the sandwiches.
- Onions, medium - 1, thinly sliced
- Baguette - 1 (sub small French-style rolls, 1 / serving)
- Butter - 2 Tbsp + 2 Tbsp
- Pot Roast (leftover from Monday) - ~4 cups, chopped
- Cheese, Swiss - 4 slices
- Reserved Pot Roast Cooking Liquid (leftover from Monday) - 1 cup
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 1 Tbsp
- Cornstarch - 1 tsp
- Vinegar, white wine - 1 Tbsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 2 tsp (use a large grain mustard if you have it)
- Honey - 1/2 tsp
- Oil, olive - 2 1/2 Tbsp
- Mixed greens - 6 oz (sub any salad greens)
- Onions - Thinly slice onions. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make vinaigrette - Whisk together vinegar, mustard, and honey. Add olive oil while whisking. Season with some salt and pepper. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Baguette - Slice baguette in half lengthwise. If using a large baguette, you can go ahead and slice it into the same number of portions as servings you plan to make.
- Turn on the oven’s broiler. Place a rack 6” / 15 cm beneath the heat source.
- While broiler is heating, melt first portion of butter in a skillet or saute pan over medium heat. To melted butter, add onions with some salt. Saute until onions are translucent and very tender, 5 to 6 minutes. Add leftover pot roast and saute until heated through, 4 to 5 minutes more. Set meat / onions aside and return pan to heat.
- To heated pan, slowly add cooking liquid, scraping up any browned bits on the bottom of the pan. Whisk together soy sauce and cornstarch. When cooking liquid is simmering, whisk in soy sauce / cornstarch and cook for 1 minute. (It should still be quite liquid-y but the cornstarch will help it adhere a bit better to the sandwiches.) Pour au jus into small bowls for serving.
- Place baguette, cut-side up on a sheet pan. Spread with second portion of butter and transfer to oven until lightly toasted, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Fill sandwiches with meat and top with sliced cheese. Broil until cheese is melted, 2 to 3 minutes more.
- Just before serving, toss greens with vinaigrette.
- Serve sandwich with au jus for dipping and salad on the side. Enjoy!
Thought the sandwich needed something acidic to cut through, added pepperoncini and it was great!1 Helpful
This sandwich was so good!0 Helpful
Added veggies left over from pot roast on side & had lentil salad on side for veggie eaters. Nice use of pot roast- on had on salad / lettuce wrap, other had on baguette.0 Helpful
This. Was. Delicious. I don't generally love pot roast, and wasn't a huge fan of the pot roast on which this depended. But add toasted butter baguette, swiss cheese and the dipping au jus and it was sooo yummy! I had added some extra veggies to my pot roast (mushrooms, collard greens) and we still had some extra veggies, so I mixed those in the meat/onion stir fry and it worked well. I almost skipped this one and I'm glad I didn't!0 Helpful
Fantastic! Skipped the onions. So good!0 Helpful