with mixed greens salad
Smarts: While long noodles are the classic in this dish, we also like it with shorter pasta shapes like penne or fusilli.
- Pasta, linguini - 8 oz, sub spaghetti (sub spaghetti)
- Rotisserie chicken - 1/2, shredded
- Onions, medium - 1, diced
- Garlic - 3 cloves, chopped
- Thyme leaves, fresh - 2 tsp
- Mushrooms, any button - 8 oz, sliced (look for pre-sliced)
- Peas, frozen - 1 cup, defrosted
- Butter - 3 Tbsp
- Flour, all-purpose - 2 Tbsp
- White wine - 1/2 cup (sub stock)
- Stock, any type - 1 cup
- Half and half - 1/2 cups (sub milk but the result won’t be as creamy)
- Nutmeg, ground (opt) - 1/8 tsp
- Lemons - 1, zest of
- Cheese, Gruyere - 1 cup + 1/2 cup, shredded (sub Swiss or white cheddar)
- Vinegar, balsamic - 1 Tbsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 2 tsp
- Oil, olive - 2 Tbsp
- Mixed greens - 5 oz
- Pasta - Boil pasta according to package directions. If prepping ahead, toss noodles with some oil to minimize sticking. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Rotisserie chicken - (Skip if chicken was prepped ahead for Tuesday.) Take meat off the bone and shred. Use a knife and fork or your hands. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Onions / Garlic / Thyme leaves - Prep as directed. Store separately. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make vinaigrette - Whisk together vinegar and mustard. Add olive oil while whisking. Season with some salt and pepper. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Mushrooms - Slice mushrooms (if not pre-sliced). (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Peas - Defrost peas.
- Heat oven to 450F / 232C.
- While oven is heating, heat a large oven-safe skillet or Dutch oven over medium heat. (This pan should be large enough to hold all of the pasta and chicken, or you can brush an oven-safe casserole dish with some oil and transfer the pasta to that dish before baking.) Add butter and then onions to melted butter. Saute for 2 to 3 minutes to get started cooking. Add mushrooms and continue cooking until mushrooms are very tender, 7 to 8 minutes. Stir in garlic and thyme leaves and season with some salt.
- Sprinkle flour over mushrooms and stir until no dry spots remain, ~1 minute.
- Pour wine into pan and bring to a simmer. Add stock and half and half while whisking and simmer until the sauce thickens slightly, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Remove pan from heat and stir in nutmeg, lemon zest, pasta, chicken, peas, and first portion of cheese. Season with some salt and pepper.
- Scatter second portion of cheese over top of pasta. Transfer to oven and bake until the cheese on top is melted and golden, 10 to 12 minutes.
- Just before serving, toss salad greens in vinaigrette.
- Serve pasta with salad on the side. Enjoy!
Too much work for a so-so dish. Not much better than regular chicken alfredo with lots of steps and dirty dishes. I did enjoy the added lemon zest but hubby didn't.1 Helpful
Husband made this one and was please with how easy it was. It was tasty. I think it could have used something else, but maybe I missed out because I skipped the lemon zest?0 Helpful
Love this as go to. Easy enough and leftovers are tasty. Skip mushrooms as I am not a fan. Keep it in rotation0 Helpful
Oh my god one of the best things I’ve ever made0 Helpful
My kids suggested a little less lemon zest and a little more garlic. But delicious!0 Helpful
I ended up using more pasta than it called for, so wish I had doubled the sauce (I do this every time!!! lol). Otherwise great!!!0 Helpful
Winner (except for the 7yo that has decided she doesn’t like mushrooms 🤦♀️🤷♀️)! Loved the flavors. Spiraled the zucchini and made a side Caesar because it’s the gateway salad 😇.0 Helpful