Latin-Spiced Chicken Sandwich
with curtido / avocado crema / oven fries
There are a few components to these chicken sandwiches and each one adds a great layer of flavor and texture.
Smarts: Make a double batch of curtido tonight and use the leftovers in Thursday's meal.
- Rotisserie chicken - 1/2, shredded
- Cumin - 1/2 tsp
- Chili powder - 1/2 tsp
- Garlic powder - 1/4 tsp
- Salt - 1/4 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Sandwich rolls / buns - 4
- Cilantro leaves - 1 Tbsp, chopped
- Avocados - 1
- Sour cream - 1/4 cup
- Lime juice - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Cabbage, red - 6 oz, very thinly sliced
- Carrots - 2 oz, shredded (look for pre-shredded to save time)
- Jalapenos (opt) - 1/2, diced
- Garlic - 1 clove, chopped
- Oregano, dried - 1/2 tsp
- Vinegar, apple cider - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Oil, cooking - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- French fries, frozen - 1 lb
- Cabbage / Carrots / Jalapenos / Garlic - (If prepping right before cooking, get oven heating first. Double if making Thursday’s meal.) Prep as directed and combine. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Rotisserie chicken - (If making Wednesday’s meal, prep chicken for that meal at the same time.) Take meat off the bone and shred. Use a knife and fork or your hands. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make spice blend - Combine cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, and salt. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make curtido - (Double if making Thursday’s meal.) Whisk together oregano, vinegar, and oil (portion for curtido). Add cabbage, carrots, jalapenos, and garlic. Toss everything together to combine. (It’s messy, but the easiest way to combine everything is with your hands.) (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Make avocado crema - If making crema by hand, finely chop cilantro (or just tear off the leaves if using an immersion blender.) Mash together avocados and cilantro. Add sour cream and lime juice. Blend with an immersion blender for a very smooth crema or just mash and stir until the mixture is smooth. Add some water if the crema is too thick to easily blend. Taste and season with some salt and pepper. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Heat oven to temperature recommended on the package for oven fries. Bake according to package directions.
- When fries are almost finished, heat a skillet with oil (portion for sandwiches) over medium-high heat. Add chicken and saute until chicken is turning golden in spots, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in spice blend and cook until fragrant, ~1 minute more.
- Give curtido a stir and season with some salt and pepper. (Reserve half if doubled.)
- Toast sandwich rolls.
- Assemble sandwiches by spreading avocado crema on the top and bottom of the sandwich rolls. Top with chicken and curtido. Serve sandwiches with oven fries (use any extra avocado crema for dipping). Enjoy!
Curtido isn't going over well in our house, and I guess I missed a bone when I shredded the chicken so hubs barely ate any of it. Oh well, can't win 'em all. I enjoyed it! Toddler actually ate a bite of the cabbage so that's a win.1 Helpful
So delicious and so easy! Used a different CS cabbage recipe and just used straight avocado. Will make again when we have another rotisserie chicken.0 Helpful
I really ruined this by letting the rolls get burned to a crisp in the toaster...but everything else tasted good!0 Helpful
This meal was excellent! It was easy and full of flavor. We did not have sweet potatoes or a rotisserie chicken. We just used chicken breast with the same seasoning and placed it on top of a bed of the avocado crema and curtido pickled cabbage. It was amazing.0 Helpful
Very good! I didn't have rotisserie chicken, so I used chicken thighs and used the saute function on my instant pot after tossing them in the spice blend. Then I added 1/4 cup stock, scraped the bottom of the pot and put them on manual for 6 minutes with a 10 min NR. They were awesome. I also used a coleslaw mix rather than buying cabbage and carrots.0 Helpful
The slaw - curtido was a bit sharp. We like it tangier so I added 1-2 tsp of brown sugar. We liked this meal a lot.0 Helpful
We loved this. My 13 year made this one for us. It was fantastic!!!!0 Helpful